Shreveport church collecting donations for troops
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Troops overseas will soon get special care packages from a Shreveport church.
The Broadmoor United Methodist Church has been collecting hygiene and comfort items to send to troops.
"We gather together as many comfort and hygiene items that troops really want that are out in the field," said senior pastor Dr. Greg Davis.
They call their operation R.E.D. which stands for Remember Everyone Deployed.
They are asking people to drop off items like packaged foods, books, body wash and even baby wipes.
Davis says those dropping off items can even send their own personalized cards so troops will know their community is thinking about them.
"We always try to let them know that we love them, that we remember them, that we give them encouragement from scripture, (and) we let them know that they are loved," said he said.
Items the church is looking for are:
- Drink mix-ins (such as Crystal Lite)
- Food in individual packs (tuna, chicken, corned beef, Vienna sausages, crackers, pretzels and microwavable items such as soups, popcorn, and mac & cheese)
- Books, magazines, comic books
- Floss, toothbrushes, toothpaste
- Shaving cream, razors, baby wipes, chapstick, sunscreen, eye drops, hand and body lotion, body wash
- Insect repellent, fly paper, fly swatters
- Blank cards, pencils, notebooks
Davis says they will be collecting items until the end of July.
Anyone interested in dropping items off can stop by the church located at 3715 Youree Drive, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or Sunday anytime before noon.
The church is also accepting monetary donations to help purchase items and mail each box. To donate, click HERE.
Copyright 2018 KSLA. All rights reserved.