Row your Boat Safety: BSO July 4 tips
BOSSIER CITY, LA (KSLA) - The Fourth of July is a time for celebration. However, safety is a top priority to the Bossier Sheriff's Office Marine Patrol, as many people prepare to hit the water and the boats.
Here are a few general boating safety tips that can be used during Independence Day and the summertime:
- Maintain and service your boat before getting on the water, especially if you haven’t been on the water in a while, is a suggested must-do.
- Have life jackets, floatation devices, a fire extinguisher, a horn or a whistle, and a kill switch are another set of tools that should be carried on the boat.
- Be courteous to other boaters and to those enjoying the waterways, and vice versa.
- Before diving into fun, let someone know where you are, where and when you’ve launched, and where you are planning to go.
- Charge it up! Be sure to have your cell phone fully charged.
- Take a screenshot of your location, and send it to someone ashore for knowledge and safety purposes.
- If you’re going to consume alcohol on the water, please be responsible.
Copyright 2018 KSLA. All rights reserved.