Louisiana and Texas rank in top 12 for "Most Fun States"
(KSLA) - As if you couldn't guess, Louisiana and Texas were rated as two of the top destinations for fun in the United States.
Texas and Louisiana broke in the top 12 with Texas at #7 and Louisiana at #12 on Wallethub's "Most Fun States" 2018 list.
To determine the ranking of the states, two key categories were examined: entertainment & recreation and nightlife.
Texas has an entertainment & recreation rank at #6 and a nightlife rank of #14. Louisiana came in at #13 for the entertainment & recreation rank and had the nightlife rank of #5 in the entire state.
Arkansas came with an overall rank of #46. It's 'entertainment & recreation' score was ranked at #44 and nightlife at #47.
A side by side comparison was done for separate categories in each state:
- Most restaurants per capita: California (Least: Delaware)
- Most movie theaters per capita: California (Least: Alaska)
- Most golf courses, country clubs per capita: Michigan (Least: Hawaii)
- Most performing-arts theaters per capita: New York (Least: Alabama)
- Most fitness centers per capita: California (Least: North Dakota)
- Most skiing facilities per capita: Vermont (Least: Indiana)
- Most marinas per capita: Florida (Least: South Dakota)
- Best access to national parks per capita: Alaska (Least: Wisconsin)
- Highest variety of arts, entertainment & recreation establishments per capita: Maine (Lowest: New Jersey)
- Highest personal expenditures on recreation on recreation services: Minnesota (Lowest: Georgia)
- Highest state and local expenditures on recreation on recreation services: North Dakota (Lowest: Rhode Island)
The way that Wallethub determined the "most fun" states was comparing the two key categories 'entertainment & recreation' and nightlife.
To evaluate those two categories, 26 metrics were broken down and given corresponding weights (for the value of each metric, click here)
- Number of attractions
- Variety of arts, entertainment and recreation establishments
- Ideal weather
- Restaurants per capita
- Amusement parks per capita
- Golf courses & country clubs per capita
- Movie theaters per capita
- Arcades per capita
- Fitness centers per capita
- Skiing facilities per capita
- Marinas per capita
- Shoreline mileage
- Beach quality
- Access to scenic byways
- Number of state fairs and events per capita
- Access to national parks
- Personal spending on recreation services per capita
- State and local direct general expenditures on parks and recreation per capita
- Average beer and wine price
- Movie costs
- Nightlife operations per capita
- Access to bars
- Time of last call
- Music festivals per capita
- Performing-arts theaters
- Casinos per capita
Sources: Data used to create this ranking were collected from U.S. Census Bureau, Bureau of Economic Analysis, National Park Service, Council for Community and Economic Research, TripAdvisor, Beachapedia, America's Scenic Byways, NOAA Office for Coastal Management, CarnivalWarehouse.com, Thrillist, Music Festival Wizard and WalletHub research.
Copyright 2018 KSLA. All rights reserved.