(KSLA) - Several schools and centers in the ArkLaTex are set to reopen Thursday and return to their normal schedules.
That is, except Herndon Magnet School in Belcher.
Water service to that campus is frozen, so it will not reopen Thursday, Caddo School District spokeswoman Mary Nash-Wood said.
"Much of the community surrounding the campus is dealing with the same difficult circumstances."
All other Caddo campuses will resume normal activities Thursday.
Also closed Thursday will be Central School Corp. in Grand Cane. But that closure is due to a flu outbreak, not the winter storm, school officials there said.
Also remaining closed Thursday are at least one Arkansas and two East Texas school districts.
They include Fouke School District in Arkansas and Atlanta ISD in Texas.
And an Avinger ISD official says there will be no classes in that district Thursday due to ice on roadways and Friday because that is an optional day.
But nearby in East Texas, classes will be held in Daingerfield-Lone Star ISD. Staffers there will report at 9 a.m. Thursday. Students are to report at 10 a.m.
Across the border in Louisiana, Red River Parish is among school districts that announced Wednesday afternoon that their classes will resume Thursday.
Bossier public schools spokeswoman Sonja Bailes said her district's school resource officers and transportation department employees report that rural roadways are clear and passable.
With no further precipitation in the forecast, Bossier Parish school buses will run at their regular times Thursday morning.
Bailes went on to say they are working closely with the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development and Bossier Parish Police Jury to ensure bridges and overpasses are being sanded/salted in preparation for Thursday.
Contingency plans are in place for roads and bridges that could pose problems in the morning, Bailes said.
In the event that a roadway remains closed, she said, buses will be rerouted to pick up students.
Bossier also will place mechanics and spare buses at various locations throughout the parish early Thursday morning in case of mechanical problems.
Other schools and centers that are set to reopen Thursday include:
- Bethel Christian School
- Hughes Springs (delayed start until 10 a.m.)
- Lafayette County School District (delayed start until 10 a.m.)
- Bossier Parish Community College in Bossier City
- Cedar Creek School in Ruston
- Elysian Fields ISD in Elysian Fields, Texas
- Grambling State University (Spring 2018 registration continues via Banner and is extended on campus through Friday)
- Jefferson, TX, ISD will reopen at 10 a.m. Buses will run on two-hour delay.
- Lincoln Parish public schools
- Lincoln Preparatory School
- Genoa Central Schools
- Louisiana Tech University
- Montessori School of Ruston
- New Living Word School
- Pewitt CISD in Omaha, TX, will reopen at 10 a.m. with buses on a 2-hour delay
- Southern University in Shreveport
- Texarkana, Ark., ISD
- Texas State Technical College in Marshall, Texas
- Webster Parish public schools
Most parish local/municipal government offices were open Wednesday and will be open Thursday as well.