Shreveport authorities investigating two suspicious packages in three days

Published: May. 25, 2017 at 11:30 AM CDT|Updated: May. 25, 2017 at 10:06 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
(Source: Cody Jennings/IKSLA News 12)
(Source: Cody Jennings/IKSLA News 12)

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Both on Tuesday and Thursday morning, Shreveport Police and Fire Department Bomb Squad were at Texas and Murphy Streets to answers calls about a suspicious package found.

On Thursday, that area was locked down for two hours before authorities gave the all-clear.

Officials received the call just after 6:30 a.m. near the intersection of Texas Avenue and Murphy Street. That's near the Shreveport Police Department's headquarters.

Roads were closed to allow crews to safely inspect the package, according to Shreveport police spokesman Cpl. Marcus Hines. He added that it took crews an hour to determine that the area was safe.

"It's a very sensitive situation," Hines said. "You look at different parts of the country where people are reeling from what they've been seeing. We don't take these situations lightly when we see them. We have to use the utmost option caution when dealing with these situations."

Crews with Shreveport Fire Department bomb squad and SPD's DARK team assisted in the investigation.

SFD Fire Chief Skip Pinkston said that the road closures were necessary to ensure the safety of residents.

A similar package was found near this location earlier this week, Hines said. He added that there were some obvious consistencies in both incidents.

"It's a serious matter both for public safety agencies as well as the public," said Shreveport Assistant Fire Chief Fred Sanders.

SFD investigators are taking the leas on this investigation.

According to Sanders, both packages were even found on the same side of the street.

"We do know that they were on the south side of Murphy Street at the intersection of Murphy and Texas. How far apart they were is not being disclosed at this time," he said.

Authorities are also not yet disclosing what type of packages they were or what was inside them, though they were both determined not to be threats.

Still, the investigation is ongoing. These packages were discovered mere days after the world was shocked by the bombing in Manchester.

"People are reeling from some of the things they've seen so we don't take lightly these situations when we see them," Hines said.

Ultimately, authorities report they need the public's help making sure any future suspicious packages do not become a threat.

"If it appears to be dangerous or could cause imminent danger, then you notify the authorities. Call 911," said Sanders.

The two suspicious packages this week are not the first discovered in Shreveport so far this year.

KSLA records report authorities also detonated a suspicious bag at the Caddo Parish Courthouse back on March 10th.

An unattended backpack in the baggage claim of Shreveport Regional Airport also prompted evacuations back on January 31st, bringing the total to four suspicious packages investigated by Shreveport authorities this year, according to KSLA records.

Copyright 2017 KSLA. All rights reserved.