SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - The snake watch is over.
Tony the mechanic has caught the snake that took refuge in a Shreveport woman's car.
And It's a healthy size, measuring more than four feet in length.
The mechanic believes it was a water moccasin, but the species has not been confirmed by an expert. There are many harmless water snakes that can be confused with the venomous water moccasin.
Whatever the species, Tony found enough feces in the vehicle to suggest that the reptile had been stowing away for months.
Lynette Bilello says said she first discovered the snake in her SUV as she was parking it at the West Shreveport branch of Shreve Memorial Library on Pines Road about 6:30 p.m. Sunday.
She was opening her glove compartment to retrieve a sign.
"It got slammed. My purse got grabbed, my Starbucks got grabbed, my cigarettes got grabbed, keys got turned off and I ran and I called 9-1-1."
Bilello said three Caddo firefighters responded but even they couldn't find the snake in time.
"As soon as the young guy got the glove box and opened the glove box, he saw the tail end, about three to four inches, crawl into the dashboard of my car."
Bilello said three Caddo firefighters responded but even they couldn't find the snake in time. She says animal control and snake removal people refused help because they said they need to be able to have a visual on the animal and they don't take anything apart.
Some even offered advice.
KSLA News 12 viewers suggested using or doing the following to drive it out:
- Ammonia or bleach
- Gasoline in buckets or on rags
- Playing the car radio at full volume.
One viewer even suggested using Jack Daniels.
Thanks to your calls, the mechanic offered to help get rid of the snake.
He checked around the car before he took the dashboard off Wednesday.
"It's right here. Up under this flap."
They saw the snake but could not catch it.
He said they would try again Thursday.
They pulled out all of the vehicle's seats, used cold air to flush the snake out of the air-conditioning system then shot it to death after getting it out and on the ground.