MARSHALL, TX (KSLA) - The Marshall Police Department are asking citizens to be extra cautious at the gas pump.
Marshall police are warning against skimming devices that are placed inside the pump, instead of outside the machine, according to a news release.
Officials say these devices have been found in Longview, Tyler and Marshall.
A tip to check for an internal skimmer is to enable Bluetooth on their smartphone. If any signal comes back from the gas pump, then it should not be used.
Police are also asking people to keep a watch on their bank accounts and notify them if they notice any suspicious activity on their account.
Police also advise to follow these tips:
- Make payments inside with the cashier.
- Contact store management immediately if anti-tampering seal is broken and do not use the machine.
- Use debit cards as a credit.
- Cover the numeric keypad while entering pins
- Ask your financial institution to pair geolocation software with your card. This feature tracks the location of both your card and phone.
To report a potential skimming device, please call the Marshall Police Department at (903) 935-4575.