Tree limb causes natural gas leak that forces street closure

Centerpoint Energy has been called in to repair a natural gas meter damaged by a falling tree limb. (Source: Cody Jennings/KSLA News 12)
Centerpoint Energy has been called in to repair a natural gas meter damaged by a falling tree limb. (Source: Cody Jennings/KSLA News 12)

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - There was a natural gas leak overnight in Shreveport.

It happened when a large tree limb fell onto an above-ground natural gas meter about 2:07 a.m. in front of a residence near Southern University-Shreveport.

The leak occurred in the 2900 block of Nettie Street. That's between Wool and Hill streets.

No injuries were reported.

No nearby residences were evacuated.

Shreveport police did, however, block off both ends of the street for a time while firefighters inspected the damage.

Centerpoint Energy was contacted to make the repairs.

Copyright 2016 KSLA. All rights reserved.