Dash cam video released of deadly officer-involved shooting

RAW: Dash cam video of officer-involved shooting
Published: Jul. 20, 2016 at 9:03 PM CDT|Updated: Jul. 20, 2016 at 9:11 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MCCURTAIN COUNTY, OK (KSLA) - Authorities have released dash cam video of an officer-involved shooting that left a suspected killer dead earlier this month.

Police say 40-year-old Andre Johnson killed two people, including his own mother, in Horatio, Arkansas before leading police on a high-speed chase that ended with a shootout in Broken Bow, Oklahoma.

Sevier County Sheriff's deputies had been called to a home in the 100 block of Cottage Hill Rd. in Horatio, AR around 3 p.m. on July 9 on a report of a disturbance and arrived to find the Johnson fleeing the scene. Deputies followed the Johnson, but say at the time, he got away.

Back at the house, deputies spotted a fire in a field behind the home, which lead to the discovery of the bodies of 66-year-old Deborah A. Johnson and 70-year-old Don L. Brown.

Both had been shot to death.

Officers began chasing Johnson after realizing he reportedly gunned down his own mother and cousin just hours before.

Police dash cam captured video of the chase through the streets of Broken Bow on the night of July 9.

Broken Bow Police Officer Todd Gilbert was one of the officers involved in the shootout after the chase ended.

"Going through my mind was just to apprehend the guy until he started shooting. What was going through my mind was, 'oh, he is really shooting.' You don't expect that you know, they always say you get tunnel vision so I imagine that is what tunnel vision is like. You don't see very much going on around you," explained Officer Gilbert.

Investigators have not released how many shots were fired, but do say it was Johnson who fired first.

Police returned fire, striking Johnson who later died at the McCurtain County Memorial Hospital in Idabel, Oklahoma.

None of the officers were wounded during the shootout.

"The officers performed their duties to the highest level that they possibly could and everybody got to go home that night, back to their families. I feel like they did the City of Broken Bow a great service," said Broken Bow Police Chief Richard Wiggens.

The officers involved were placed on paid administrative leave, which is routine.

They were able to return to work last week.

Copyright 2016 KSLA. All rights reserved.