SFD: Electrical heater sparked fire in Cedar Grove home

SFD: Electrical heater sparked fire in Cedar Grove home

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Fire that heavily damaged a Cedar Grove home Friday afternoon is believed to have been caused by a space heater too close to a bed.

According to the Shreveport Fire Department, firefighters were called to the home in the 700 block of West 71st Street at 2:35 PM for a reported house fire.

Fire Companies from Station #9 arrived on scene within five minutes to find a one story wood frame home with heavy fire and smoke coming from the front of the home. Firefighters made an aggressive interior attack bringing the fire under control at 2:48 PM.

The home was occupied at the time by one adult male and one child. They both escaped without injury. Investigators have determined the fire to be accidental caused by an electrical heater too close to a bed in the front bedroom of the home. The home suffered heavy fire and smoke damage throughout.

The Shreveport Fire Department would like to remind all citizens about electrical space heater safety with the following recommendations:

• Use a space heater that has been tested to the latest safety standards and has been certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory. These heaters have the most up-to-date safety features. Older space heaters may not meet newer safety standards. Always follow the manufacturer's directions for proper use.

• Place the heater on a level, hard, nonflammable surface, such as a ceramic tile floor.

• Keep the heater at least three feet away from bedding, drapes, furniture, and other flammable materials.

• Keep children and pets away from space heaters.

• Turn the heater off if you leave the area.

• Never leave a space heater on when you go to sleep.

• Don't place a space heater close to any sleeping person.

• Also, be sure to place smoke alarms on every level of your home, outside of sleeping areas and inside each bedroom.

Copyright 2015 KSLA. All rights reserved.