‘Fall Nights & Carnival Lights’: State Fair of Louisiana back for 117th year
New security measures being put in place this year
SHREVEPORT, La. (KSLA) - The 117th State Fair of Louisiana kicks off on Thursday, Oct. 26!
This year’s theme, “Fall Nights & Carnival Lights” runs through Nov. 12 and is full of carnival rides, free shows, food and live music. Favorites, the LRCA Finals Rodeo and the largest livestock show in the state, will be returning.
This year, parking will be free for the entire fair. Admission will also be free on weekdays (excluding Mondays and Tuesdays, when the fair is closed) from 12 to 3 p.m. On opening day, admission is just $2 per person and carnival rides are $2 each. Discounted days are also being offered Nov. 1 and Nov. 8. On those days, admission is $6 each and carnival ride armbands are $30 each.
- Adult - $15
- Pay-One-Price Pass Adult (includes admission & carnival ride armband) - $50
- Pay-One-Price Pass Child (includes admission & carnival ride armband) - $43
- Carnival ride armband - $35
- Child (ages 3-12) - $8
- Kids under age 3 get in for free
Officials with the fair also say they’re making some security changes this year, which include:
- A large, continuous presence of Shreveport Police Department officers and security officers
- Metal detection at fair entrances (guests and their possessions are subject to search)
- Weapon restrictions (no weapons are allowed on Fair Grounds property, even if you have a concealed carry permit; law enforcement is the only exception)
- Surveillance cameras operating throughout the Fair Grounds for the duration of the fair
- Beginning at 6 p.m., those under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or chaperone who is 21 or older
- A single parent, guardian or chaperone may accompany no more than 6 minors under 18
- Groups larger than 6 minors need additional chaperones
- Parents, guardians or chaperones must present valid ID upon entry beginning at 6 p.m. each evening (the chaperone is not required to be with the minors at all times, but must be present at the fair)
- Unaccompanied minors on Fair Grounds property after 6 p.m. will be removed
- Organized/ticketed outings, such as for schools, churches, corporate groups, etc., are exempt from this policy if they have already established chaperone policies
- Bag policies
- Bags being brought into the fair should be no larger than 9″ x 10″ x 12″
- Medically necessary items will be allowed with proper inspection
- Diaper bags are allowed with proper inspection
- Soft-sided coolers for infants/families to accommodate dietary needs are allowed with proper inspection
- All bags are subject to search. Any bags that do not meet the criteria will not be allowed inside the fair
Copyright 2023 KSLA. All rights reserved.