LSU rallies to edge Auburn
AUBURN, Ala. (WAFB) - It was a wild, roller-coaster ride in the fourth quarter between LSU and Auburn on Saturday, Oct. 1, but the Bayou Bengals were able to complete the comeback and pull out the win.
LSU came away with the 21-17 victory. LSU improves to 4-1 overall and 2-0 in the SEC. Auburn falls to 3-2 overall and 1-1 in the conference.
There were no scores in the final quarter of the game but there were multiple turnovers, including what is best described as a Tyrann Mathieu-esque strip by safety Greg Brooks Jr. that is officially recorded as an interception.
The game had an ominous start as LSU defensive back Sevyn Banks, who also plays on special teams, was injured on the opening kickoff. He was carted off the field and taken to the hospital. He was later cleared to leave the hospital.
LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels was only 8-of-20 for 80 yards and about half of those yards were on one play. He ran the ball 16 times for 59 yards and a touchdown.
He left the game in the fourth quarter with what was reported as a knee injury.
LSU running back Josh Williams was the team’s leading rusher with 17 carries for 68 yards. Running back John Emery Jr. had a big night, finishing with eight carries for 42 yards and a touchdown, along with one catch for 39 yards. His 20-yard touchdown run gave LSU the lead in the third quarter.
LSU spotted Auburn 17 points in the first half before the defense finally got the Bayou Bengals on the board. Defensive end BJ Ojulari exploded off the edge and strip-sacked Auburn quarterback Robby Ashford, then safety Jay Ward scooped up the loose ball and ran it in for a score.
Ashford finished 19-of-38 for 337 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for 19 yards.
- Robby Ashford pass complete to Ja’Varrius Johnson for 53 yds for a TD with 12:57 left (Auburn - 7, LSU - 0)
- Robby Ashford pass complete to Camden Brown for 18 yds for a TD with 14:04 left (Auburn - 14, LSU - 0)
- Anders Carlson 29 yd FG GOOD with 9:38 left (Auburn - 17, LSU - 0)
- Robby Ashford sacked by BJ Ojulari for a loss of 6 yards. Robby Ashford fumbled, forced by BJ Ojulari, recovered by Jay Ward, who returned it 23 yds for a TD with 6:33 left (Auburn - 17, LSU - 7)
- Jayden Daniels 1-run for 1 yd for a TD with :15 left (Auburn - 17, LSU - 14)
- John Emery Jr. run for 20 yds for a TD with 3:32 left (LSU - 21, Auburn - 17)
LSU next returns to Tiger Stadium to host Tennessee on Saturday, Oct. 8. Kickoff is scheduled for 11 a.m.
Click here to report a typo.
Copyright 2022 WAFB. All rights reserved.