Mother, her boyfriend plead not guilty in toddler’s death
Published: Feb. 8, 2022 at 12:11 PM CST
BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - A mother and her boyfriend both pleaded not guilty to charges on Monday, Feb. 7, in the death of 2-year-old Nevaeh Allen.
Lanaya Cardwell and Phillip Gardner are charged with second-degree murder in connection with the toddler’s death. Gardner is also facing charges of unlawful disposal of human remains and obstruction of justice.
Cardwell will have her next court appearance on April 14 for a motion hearing. Gardner will be in court four days later.
- Nevaeh Allen’s family launches foundation to help families, honor kids that die due to child abuse
- GRAPHIC: New details released about Nevaeh Allen death
- Bond set for mother of Baton Rouge toddler Nevaeh Allen in child’s death, stepfather facing charges
- THE INVESTIGATORS: DCFS confirms active case involving death of Nevaeh Allen
- New bonds set for mother, boyfriend accused in Nevaeh Allen’s death
Allen was found dead in a wooded area in Hancock County, Miss. on Sunday, Sept. 26, after she was reported missing from her home in Baton Rouge two days earlier.
Click here to report a typo.
Copyright 2022 WAFB. All rights reserved.