Advertisement

2 teens found unresponsive in Bowie Co. home being heated with generator

Carbon monoxide poisoning suspected
(Storyblocks.com)
Published: Jan. 26, 2022 at 10:37 AM CST|Updated: Jan. 26, 2022 at 3:02 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BOWIE COUNTY, Texas (KSLA) - Two teenagers were found unresponsive at a home in Bowie County on the night on Tuesday, Jan. 25, and one was later pronounced dead.

Officials with the Bowie County Sheriff’s Office say they got a 911 call around 10:30 p.m. that two teens were unresponsive at a home on Twilight Circle.

“The dad and a friend tried to text the children and could not get then to respond. And when they did not respond, they went back over to the house. That’s when they discovered the children,” said Bowie County Sheriff Jeff Neal.

They discovered the home was without power and was being heated by a gasoline-powered generator.

A 16-year-old girl was found unresponsive on the front porch of the house. As CPR was being initiated, first responders also found a 13-year-old boy, Micah Franco, unresponsive on the floor of the living room. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

The girl was taken first to a local hospital, then transferred to a facility in Little Rock, Ark. She is expected to recover.

“We are very sad with heavy hearts. Very comber trying to take care of our kids today,” said Dr. Kelly Burns, superintendent of Redwater ISD.

Burns said the two teens attend the junior high school. Counselors were dispatched to the school today to help students and staff cope.

“It’s never easy and it’s something we wish we didn’t have to deal with. Our hearts go out to the family,” she said.

Investigators say this incident sends a warning to use extreme caution when using generators.

“The Sheriff’s Department would like to remind everybody who has gas products in their home at this time, be sure they have carbon monoxide detectors that are working. And if they have any issues, please have it checked by a professional,” said Neal.

Officials say they do not suspect foul play, but believe carbon monoxide poisoning is to blame. The investigation into this incident is ongoing.

Copyright 2022 KSLA. All rights reserved.