Call center hours extended to handle high volume of calls for DSNAP registration
BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - Officials with the Louisiana Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS) say they are extending the operation of their call center by one hour for Monday, Sept. 20 to accommodate the high volume of calls for registration of Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) benefits.
Louisiana residents, who live in parishes approved for DSNAP benefits due to Hurricane Ida, can call the LAHelpU Customer Service Center on their assigned day at 1-888-524-3578 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 20.
All other days, applicants can call between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.
DCFS issued the following statement Monday:
“Due to high initial call volumes this morning, our DSNAP line experienced longer than expected wait times. We apologize for the inconvenience. We have addressed the issue, and calls are now flowing. We are sending mass texts to clients scheduled for this first week.
We are extending DSNAP hours until 7:30 pm today (Monday, Sept. 20) only to serve A-F last names who couldn’t get through.
Day 5 and 6 (Friday, Saturday) are lagniappe days. Any applicant in the active Phase parishes can apply on those days. Applicants should call on a lagniappe day if they cannot get through on their assigned day.”
Applicants should call on the days designated for the parish they live and their last name (see schedule below).
Before calling to apply, residents are encouraged, but not required to take the following steps:
- Pre-registering online by CLICKING HERE.
- Download the LA Wallet mobile app for identity and residency verification. Information on the app, including download links, can be found by CLICKING HERE.
- Gather all information needed for the application. A list of what is needed can be found in the FAQs at www.dcfs.la.gov/DSNAP
PHASE 1 – Sept. 20-25
Approved Parishes: E. Baton Rouge, E. Feliciana, Iberia, Orleans, Pointe Coupee, St. Bernard, St. Tammany, Washington, W. Baton Rouge and W. Feliciana
- Day 1 (Monday, Sept. 20) – Residents with last names beginning with A-F
- Day 2 (Tuesday, Sept. 21) – G-M
- Day 3 (Wednesday, Sept. 22) – N-S
- Day 4 (Thursday, Sept. 23) – T-Z
- Day 5 (Friday, Sept. 24) – Open for all (letters A-Z) in the Phase 1 parishes
- Day 6 (Saturday, Sept. 25) – Open for all (letters A-Z) in the Phase 1 parishes
PHASE 2 – Sept. 27- Oct. 2
Approved Parishes: Ascension, Assumption, Iberville, Jefferson, Livingston, Plaquemines, St. Helena, St. Martin (lower St. Martin Parish ZIPs only 70339 & 70380), St. Mary and Tangipahoa
- Day 1 (Monday, Sept. 27) – Residents with last names beginning with A-F
- Day 2 (Tuesday, Sept. 28) – G-M
- Day 3 (Wednesday, Sept. 29) – N-S
- Day 4 (Thursday, Sept. 30) – T-Z
- Day 5 (Friday, Oct. 1) – Open for all (letters A-Z) in the Phase 2 parishes
- Day 6 (Saturday, Oct. 2) – Open for all (letters A-Z) in the Phase 2 parishes
PHASE 3 – Oct. 4 - 9
Approved Parishes: Lafourche, St. Charles, St. James, St. John the Baptist and Terrebonne
- Day 1 (Monday, Oct. 4) – Residents with last names beginning with A-F
- Day 2 (Tuesday, Oct. 5) – G-M
- Day 3 (Wednesday, Oct. 6) – N-S
- Day 4 (Thursday, Oct. 7) – T-Z
- Day 5 (Friday, Oct. 8) – Open for all (letters A-Z) in the Phase 3 parishes
- Day 6 (Saturday, Oct. 9) – Open for all (letters A-Z) in the Phase 3 parishes
Additional information about DSNAP can be found by texting LADSNAP to 898-211 or by visiting www.dcfs.la.gov/DSNAP.
Click here to report a typo.
Copyright 2021 WAFB. All rights reserved.