Members of Shreveport’s LGBTQ+ community talk about importance of Pride Month
SHREVEPORT, La. (KSLA) - Members of the LGBTQ+ community say Pride Month is a big deal.
On Thursday, June 17, KSLA’s Tayler Davis spoke with a number of people about initiatives they would like to see happen in Shreveport, plus events going on throughout June.
Below are her raw interviews with J.D. Stevens-Jones, cofounder of the Shreveport-based grassroots creative arts organization Queerport, and Steven Lamar Knight, cofounder of Shreveport Q-Prom, in which they discuss what Pride Month means to them, the LGBTQ+ community, events being held this month and initiatives they would like to see in Shreveport:
Stevens-Jones says Pride Month is a month of reflection.
“It’s not about walking out and wearing rainbows,” they said. “Pride was a riot and it was started by queer trans Black people in New York City during 1969, and we’ve been loud ever since and we haven’t stopped.”
Stevens-Jones says they want to see more city leaders and businesses bring more opportunities to the community.
“I see a lot of rainbow capitalism. I see a lot of businesses that are just throwing rainbow flags on things, but they don’t have the initiative,” they said.
Knight says he uses this month to brainstorm different ways to help people live in their truth.
“There are people who are hurt every day just for being who they are,” Knight said.
EVENTS HAPPENING IN JUNE
- 21+ / June 19: Drag show at Central Station (every Saturday night)
- 21+ / June 20: Drag Bingo featuring Lemon Pop at The Korner Lounge (every Sunday with a different drag artist)
- 21+ / June 23: Trivia Night at The Korner Lounge (every Wednesday)
- All Ages / June 24: Digital Tarot Readings sponsored by Queerport / https://www.facebook.com/events/4060801243955461
- All Ages / June 25-26: Pride Weekend at The Lot / https://www.facebook.com/events/226670272600937
- 21+ / June 25: Talent Night at Central Station
- 21+ / June 25: Pride Fest at Bear’s on Fairfield / https://www.facebook.com/events/148076880713303
- All Ages / June 26: Field Gay presented by Q-Prom / https://www.facebook.com/events/179867317381252/
- All Ages / June 26: Pride Mass at Holy Cross at Holy Cross Episcopal Church / https://www.facebook.com/events/1194858840944889
- All Ages / June 26: Stonewall Candlelight vigil sponsored by The Korner Lounge (21+ to enter bar) / https://www.facebook.com/events/593423618224796
- 21+ / June 26: Field Gay After Party & Drag Show / https://www.facebook.com/events/196262085736611/
- 21+ June 26: Drag show at Central Station (every Saturday night)
- All Ages / June 27: Digital Pride Month Showcase sponsored by Queerport / https://www.facebook.com/events/4305028282848747
- 21+ / June 27: Drag Bingo featuring Olivia Martini Brooks at The Korner Lounge (every Sunday with a different drag artist)
- 21+ / June 27: Drag Bingo featuring Mya Andrews at Central Station (every other Sunday)
- 21+ / June 30: Trivia Night at The Korner Lounge (every Wednesday)
Queerport is raising money for its annual flagship event in October in downtown Shreveport. The free event showcases artists, creators, musicians, poets, vendors and more. It’s open to people of all ages. Click here to donate.
Copyright 2021 KSLA. All rights reserved.