Community to join city officials in weekend of prayer to stop the violence in Shreveport
SHREVEPORT, La. (KSLA) - The City of Shreveport is holding a weekend of community prayer to stop the violence.
Mayor Adrian Perkins will join city council members in this effort. Citizens are asked to join their council members in their respective districts to pray at 1 p.m. on Saturday, June 5. Residents can gather at the following intersections, which will be closed to traffic for safety:
- David Raines Road/Dr. Martin Luther King Drive
- Mayfair Drive/ Algonquin Trail
- Union Avenue/Hollywood Avenue
- Line Avenue/3132 Terry Bradshaw Passway (north side)
- Crabapple Drive/Baird Road
- Monkhouse Drive/Hollywood Avenue
- Broadway Avenue/Hollywood Avenue
- Hearne Avenue/Hollywood Avenue
- 70th Street/Jewella Avenue
- Linwood Avenue/70th Street
- Mansfield Road/70th Street
- Hollywood Avenue/Jewella Avenue
- Greenwood Road/Jewella Avenue
This initiative was announced back in May as a way to address recent gun violence in the city.
16-year-old Carlos Daniels was tragically killed on May 28 in a drive-by shooting. Daniel’s father, Jesse Sumers, says he was a young man with a bright future ahead.
“He actually was just telling me about the child he just had notion trying to find him as well, just what he wanted to do, he was ready to start back working with me,” said Sumers.
For Sumers, his family, friends and community will now have to live life without Daniels. He says he can only ask the city to love one another and put down the guns.
“Find the love and put it in your hearts. I believe we can all become stronger,” said Sumers.
On Saturday, June 5, pastor Melvin Porter of Union Mission 2 Baptist Church joined several others at the intersection of Mansfield and West 70th.
“We are coming together not just as community leaders, not just pastors and preachers, but everyone coming together to pray to send better energy throughout our city,” said Porter.
The weekend of prayer will culminate with a citywide interfaith prayer session at 3 p.m. on Sunday, June 6 at Independence Stadium.
Copyright 2021 KSLA. All rights reserved.