SHREVEPORT, La. (KSLA) - The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) is now prepping for the possibility of snowfall Sunday night (Jan. 10) into Monday morning.
Right now, forecasts are calling for freezing temperatures with the possibility of rain, which would result in wintry precipitation... snow.
DOTD officials say equipment has been checked and crews are available to monitor bridges and elevated sections of roadway for ice. Officials say they’re prepared to close roads if necessary. Drivers should be aware that roads and bridges may become unsafe for travel before DOTD is able to close them.
RESOURCES FROM DOTD
- 511 Traveler Information: Travelers can find information regarding road closures by downloading the Louisiana 511 mobile app or by visiting the 511 Traveler Information website at www.511la.org. This website is updated in real time with changing road conditions.
- MyDOTD: Motorists can receive up-to-date information on local projects, lane and road closures, and other DOTD activity by signing up for MyDOTD at www.dotd.la.gov.
- Social Media: Find DOTD on social media for updates and information. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Drivers should stay off the roads during hazardous conditions. If people must travel, they should follow these tips:
- Drive slowly and carefully
- Avoid driving while distracted
- Always allow for extra driving time
- Reduce speeds when visibility is low
- Make sure there is plenty of room between vehicles
- Be on the lookout for DOTD crews and other emergency responders and their equipment
- Remember that it’s unlawful and unsafe to drive around a road closed barricade for any reason