New Orleans mother of 6 still dealing with complications following COVID-19 infection

Trichelle McDaniel holds her newborn son for the first time after spending 72 days in the...
Trichelle McDaniel holds her newborn son for the first time after spending 72 days in the hospital with Covid-19.(wvue)
Updated: Jan. 1, 2021 at 4:04 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - We first introduced you to Trichelle McDaniel in May as she held her baby boy for the first time after spending 72 days in the hospital.

She was 35 weeks pregnant when she tested positive for COVID-19. She went into pre-term labor and had to undergo an emergency c-section at Touro Hospital in New Orleans. She spent weeks in the ICU and was on a ventilator fighting the virus.

“When I was holding him, he did this one thing, he put his hand right here to my face and I am like oh my God and the tears just went down my face because I was like this is what I was fighting for, this is exactly what I was fighting for, my kids,” McDaniel said.

McDaniel’s baby boy, Brian, is now 9-months old.

“I was perfectly fine before I had COVID. I was 100 percent independent. In fact, the day I went into the hospital on March 11th, I was supposed to go to work because I was still working. I was going to keep working until my scheduled c-section April 8th,” she said.

McDaniel is one of the so-called COVID long haulers, patients who continue to suffer months after their infection.

“I’m still having complications. I still go to therapy. The thing that really bothers me the most is not able to change the baby,” McDaniel said. ”Like putting his clothes on, or giving him a bath, I need assistance with giving him baths and things like that.”

McDaniel tells us she’s now in occupational therapy for those complications.

“I had toes amputated. I had to get 2 and a half toes cut off on the left side,” she said. “Its nerve damage, these three fingers are numb all the way up here. It just got this weird feeling. Sometimes when I go outside and the air hit it, even if I am in here and the air hit it, it’s so painful, it’s painful, I cry all the time.”

Despite that, she says she looks at the bright side.

“I think about it a lot. It really is frustrating but I have to look at the brighter side of the picture, being that I was spared my life. I still have my life,” McDaniel said. “I am still here to raise my children.”

She says her story is a reminder of just how serious the virus can be. “It’s real serious people. We got to do better as a community, we have to take matters into our own hands, wear a mask,” McDaniel said.

The mother of six also tells us her son Brian is doing great. He was born healthy and tested negative for COVID-19.

Copyright 2020 WVUE. All rights reserved.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Click Here to report it. Please include title of story.