Boy with autism saves family from devastating house fire in Shreveport neighborhood just days before Christmas
“If it wasn’t for him waking us up, I don’t even want to think about it”
SHREVEPORT, La. (KSLA) - A family is safe from a house fire Wednesday morning thanks to a young boy.
Crews were called out to the 200 block of Robinson Place just before 9:45 a.m. Dec. 23. That’s in the Highland neighborhood in Shreveport, just two blocks from Centenary College.
According to one of the home’s residents, Jessica Green, she was awakened by her son alerting her to the fire.
She said the raging fire all began at an old, exposed electrical outlet next to the bed of her 5-year-old son Jason, who has autism.
“When I come in the room, this whole corner right here was flamed up,” Green recalled. “And his mattress was just, the flames were crawling across it.”
The flames spread quickly and appear to have gutted the inside of the house.
Green said she, her son and her 4-year-old daughter, Jaden, were the only ones home at the time.
Jason does not speak but was able to communicate the emergency to his mother just in time.
“He saved us. If it wasn’t for my son, we would have all passed away,” said Green.
The family was able to get to safety. However, the home was destroyed, along with most of their possessions, just two days before Christmas.
Green said that her family is able to help them and that they will have someplace to stay during the holidays. She also said things can be replaced and is just grateful she and her children were able to survive.
Even before the flames were out, Green said, the American Red Cross was already on the phone communicating with them and even putting money into an account to get their lives back on the right track.
Copyright 2020 KSLA. All rights reserved.