Woman, son die in house fire in Homer

Window air conditioner, extension cord may have played a role in starting the fire, authorities say
Two bodies were discovered following a house fire in Homer.
Two bodies were discovered following a house fire in Homer.(La. State Fire Marshall's Office | La. State Fire Marshall's Office)
Updated: May. 5, 2020 at 9:32 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HOMER, La. (KSLA) — A woman and her adult son died in a house fire in Claiborne Parish, authorities say.

And a window air conditioner and an extension cord may have played a role in the fire, the Louisiana fire marshal’s office reports.

Fire crews were summoned to the 900 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive in Homer about 2:45 a.m. Tuesday.

The bodies of the 60-year-old woman and 28-year-old man were found after firefighters extinguished the fire at a house there. She was in a bedroom while he was in a hallway.

Now the Claiborne Parish coroner’s office is working to identify them and determine the cause of their deaths.

NEWS ALERT- State Fire Marshal deputies are on the scene of a fire investigation in Homer this morning involving two...

Posted by Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal on Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Investigators with the state fire marshal’s office have determined that the fire began in the den area.

“At this time, the exact cause of the fire is undetermined,” says a statement from the fire marshal’s office.

“However the potential for electrical malfunction in relation to a window A/C unit powered via extension cord is being considered as a possible factor.”

Investigators also have been unable to find working smoke alarms in the home, authorities say.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available. Stay with KSLA News 12 for the latest.

Copyright 2020 KSLA. All rights reserved.