INDEPENDENCE, La. (WAFB) - The small, close-knit community of Independence remains haunted by an unsolved 2018 double shooting that claimed the life of Daytra Miller and her teenage son, Robert West Jr.
More so, detectives from the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff’s Office, (TPSO) which is leading the investigation, continue to reach out to the public while desperately seeking out the tip that will lead to a breakthrough in the case almost a year later.
“Investigating a homicide, especially a double homicide, is stressful in many-many ways, however, for our detectives, not being able to serve justice and provide closure for the victims’ families weighs extremely heavy on their hearts,” said a TPSO spokesperson.
TPSO officials reported to news outlets Monday, Dec. 24, 2018 an investigation was ongoing following the discovery of a woman and boy found dead in a home Sunday, Dec. 23, 2018. Family members identified Miller and West Jr. as the victims.
TPSO is still offering $12,500 for information leading to the arrest(s) of those responsible.
"Somebody knows what happened to this family,” said Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff Daniel Edwards. “And without your help, I don’t want to say it’ll never be solved, but it’s going to definitely be challenging.”
Edwards noted in most homicide cases authorities believe they know the killer’s identity but they need witnesses to cooperate.
Anyone with information should call Detective Dale Athmann by dialing 985.634-9181 or contact Crime Stoppers using the information below:
- Adults call toll free: 1-800-554-5245 (JAIL)
- Students call toll free: 1-877-668-2421 (NOT-B-4-21),
- Web tips can be submitted by clicking the P3 icon or Submit a Tip tab on Crime Stopper’s home page: www.tangicrimestoppers.com
- Facebook tips can be submitted by clicking the Submit a Tip tab on Crime Stopper’s CST FB page: www.facebook.com/tangicrimestoppers
- Download Crime Stopper’s free P3 app by Anderson Software in the iTunes and GooglePlay stores to submit an anonymous tip