Medical emergency sends 13 students to hospitals
It began with 2 students coming out of a class feeling dizzy and complaining of headaches, official says
SHREVEPORT, La. (KSLA) — Broadmoor Middle Laboratory School will be closed as a precaution Wednesday as authorities search for the cause of a mystery medical emergency that sent at least 13 students to hospitals.
What initially was reported as a possible natural gas leak spurred a large emergency response Tuesday afternoon and caused officials to evacuate the campus on Atlantic Avenue.
At least 13 students have since been taken to area hospitals.
Two students came out of a class feeling dizzy and complained of headaches, Caddo School District spokeswoman Mary Nash-Wood told KSLA News 12.
Eleven more other students and three school staffers had similar symptoms, she added.
“We’re here for various patients complaining of nausea,” Shreveport Fire Department’s Chief John Lane said Tuesday afternoon. "We have paramedics on the scene. We have two physicians on scene.
“We treated the symptoms and transported 13 to area hospitals. And we had one we treated and released here on scene.”
Shreveport firefighters and CenterPoint Energy crews checked the campus for a gas leak and found none.
So authorities have classified what happened as a medical emergency and as a Level I mass casualty incident.
Caddo 911 dispatch records show the initial call came in at 12:43 p.m. At one point, 21 Shreveport Fire Department units were on the scene.
When the school was evacuated, parents were notified and buses were picking up students at Atlantic at Norway streets.
Authorities will keep searching for the cause of the emergency; and only after that is determined and resolved will the school be cleared for classes, Nash-Wood said.
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.
Copyright 2019 KSLA. All rights reserved.