(KSLA) - The start of the 2019-20 school year is right around the corner.
That means organizations are holding back-to-school events and school supply giveaways to help get everyone ready.
- Beckville, Texas, ISD: Aug. 15
- Bossier Parish Community College: Fall classes start Aug. 8
- Bossier Parish public schools: Aug. 7
- Caddo Parish public schools: Aug. 12
- Carthage, Texas, ISD: Aug. 19
- Castor schools: Aug. 12 (8-11 a.m.) with Aug. 13 as the first full day.
- Center, Texas, ISD: Aug. 14
- Claiborne Parish public schools: Aug. 8
- DeSoto Parish public schools: Aug. 6
- Elysian Fields, Texas, ISD: Aug. 12
- Gary, Texas, ISD: Aug. 15
- Hallsville, Texas, ISD: Aug. 14
- Harleton, Texas, ISD: Aug. 14
- Joaquin, Texas, ISD: Aug. 14
- Karnack, Texas, ISD: Aug. 14
- Louisiana Tech University: Fall quarter starts Sept. 4 (residence halls open Sept. 2)
- Marshall, Texas, ISD: Aug. 26
- Natchitoches Parish public schools: Aug. 8
- New Boston, Texas, ISD: Aug. 12
- Red River Parish public schools: Aug. 8
- Sabine Parish public schools: Aug. 12
- San Augustine, Texas, ISD: Aug. 14
- Tatum, Texas, ISD: Aug. 14
- Tenaha, Texas, ISD: Aug. 19
- Texarkana, Ark., School District: Aug. 14
- Valliant Public Schools in Valliant, Okla.: Aug. 8
- Waskom, Texas, ISD: Aug. 14
- Webster Parish public schools: Aug. 9
- Wiley College: Aug. 5
- DeSoto High Alumni School Association is holding a Fill the Bus drive to collect classroom supplies — paper towels, facial tissues, bacterial soap, Clorox wipes, baby wipes, hand sanitizers and Lysol spray — for Mansfield schoolteachers and students. Donations can be dropped off through Sept. 16 at 1216 Old Jefferson Highway in Mansfield. To have donations picked up, call (318) 393-5116 to schedule a time. Monetary donations can be mailed to DHSAA, P.O. Box 313, Mansfield, LA 71052. The nonprofit’s tax ID is 72-1279573.
- AUG. 10: Marshall, Texas, ISD is collecting donations for its annual Pack the Bus school supply drive. The goal is to pack a school bus (or buses, hopefully) with enough school supplies for every elementary school student (PreK-5th grade) in Marshall. On Aug. 10, Pack The Bus Day at will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Walmart at 1701 East End Blvd. N in Marshall. Customers will be able to buy school supplies at the renovated store then help load them into the bus that day. To help, contact communication director David Weaver by phone at (903) 927-8727 or via email to email@example.com; Jessica Scott, special assistant to the superintendent and Board of Trustees by phone at (903) 927-8713 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or Ana Ramirez, administrative assistant to the schools superintendent, by phone at (903) 927-8701 or via email to email@example.com.
- AUG. 10: Caddo district attorney’s office intern Skylar Dean will give school supplies to Shreveport elementary and middle school students starting at 10 a.m. and continuing as long as supplies last at Common Ground, 6806 Southern Ave. in Shreveport. Donations of supplies for the giveaway are being accepted between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday through July 26 at Common Ground. Donations also can be made via the CashApp @SkylarDaedean. To help, call or send a text to Dean at (318) 517-4757 or send email at firstname.lastname@example.org. More information is available on his Instagram page @skylarrdean.
- AUG. 10: School supplies will be collected between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. for the Junior Auxiliary of Ruston’s annual Stuff That Bus school supply and uniform drive. Needed are items such as loose leaf paper, pencils, crayons, pens, scissors, glue, highlighters, folders, rulers, notebooks, gently used uniforms and monetary donations.
- AUG. 10: The African American Celebration Committee’s 16th annual tennis shoe giveaway will be held from 9:30 a.m. to noon at Walmart, 6235 Westport Ave. That’s off Pines Road in west Shreveport. To receive help, one must first register at one of the signups set Aug. 1 and Aug. 5.
- AUG. 10: Faces of Grace, Inc is hosting a Backpack Giveaway & Adult Field Day at Bill Cockerell Park from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. Free backpacks, haircuts and food. There will be performances by Huntington High School Drum line, Turner Elementary School cheerleaders, as well as principal’s from both Turner Elementary and Huntington High School will be there. $100 entry fee per field day team.
- AUG. 12: Meet the Teacher night for Texarkana, Ark., School District. Sessions for the Washington ABC program and elementary school campuses will run from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Sessions for College Hill Middle and North Heights Junior High schools are scheduled for 5-7 p.m. And the session at Arkansas High is set for 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Bossier Parish public schools (Visit your school’s website)
- Caddo Parish public schools (Visit your school’s website)
- DeSoto Parish public schools (Visit your school’s website)
- Gary, Texas, ISD
- Marshall, Texas, Junior High
- Natchitoches Parish public schools (Visit your school’s website)
- Oakview Primary in New Boston, Texas
- Texarkana, Ark., School District
- Texarkana, Texas, Independent School District
- Valliant Elementary in Valliant, Okla.
- Valliant Middle in Valliant, Okla.
- Waskom, Texas, ISD
- Webster Parish public schools (Visit your school’s website)
AUG. 7-13: Kindergarten screening for Bossier School District. On one of these dates, each kindergarten student will attend one full day of school.
AUG. 8: Meet the Teacher from 5-7 p.m. for pre-kindergarten through second grade at Oakview Primary School in New Boston, Texas. School supplies may be brought at this time. The computer lab will be open for online registration, if needed.
AUG. 12: All Texarkana, Ark., School District campuses will hold Meet the Teacher Night.
- Washington campus ABC program: 4:30-6 p.m.
- All elementary schools: 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- College Hill 6th Grade Academy and North Heights Junior High: 5-7 p.m.
- Arkansas High: Hog Howdy (ninth-grade orientation) 5:30-6:30 p.m.; and Meet the Teacher (grades 9-12) 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Each school will hold a public meeting to explain policies, programs and goals. People also will be able to ask questions and make suggestions.
AUG. 12: Texarkana, Texas, ISD will hold orientation for prekindergarten and kindergarten at the Paul Laurence Dunbar Early Education Center, 2315 W. 10th St. Sessions will be at 8:30 a.m. for students whose last name starts with A-L and at 1 p.m. for M-Z. The orientation is for students enrolled in the Dunbar Early Education Center, the Theron Jones Early Literacy Center and Highland Park, Spring Lake Park and Wake Village elementary schools.
AUG: 12: Tiger Community Welcome from 10 a.m. to noon in Hobdy Assembly Center at Grambling State University, 1234 Grambling Road in Grambling. The event gives Grambling State students an opportunity to learn about products and services from 40 vendors from the Ruston-Lincoln and Grambling chambers of commerce, GSU business sponsors and Tiger Express merchants.
AUG. 19-20: Texarkana, Ark., School District will hold hiring events for substitute teachers from 4-6:30 p.m. Aug. 19 and from 9-11:30 a.m. Aug. 20 at 3512 Grand Ave. in Texarkana, Ark.
AUG. 20: open house at 6 p.m. at Natchitoches Central High School.
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.