(WAFB) - Barry made landfall in Louisiana Saturday, July 13 as a Category 1 hurricane and was quickly downgraded to a tropical storm, according to the National Hurricane Center (NHC).
Below you can find a running list of canceled events and closures:
- The Ascension Public Schools support workers job fair, originally slated for Thursday, July 11, has been canceled.
- Ascension Parish has postponed Dancing for a Cause, originally slated for Saturday, July, 13. No new date has been given.
- 23rd Judicial District Court and Ascension Parish Court will close at 12 p.m. Friday, July 12. Courts will reopen with normal business hours Monday, July 15 at 8:30 a.m.
- All waterways in Ascension Parish will be closed to recreational boater traffic beginning at 6 p.m. Saturday, July 13. The waterways will be closed until further notice.
- ACT test day at Assumption High School. The test day was scheduled for Saturday, July 13, but has now been canceled.
EAST BATON ROUGE PARISH
There will be no garbage collection on Friday, July 12
- The Celebrity/Sorta Celebrity Softball Game has been rescheduled for Friday, July 19, at LSU Tiger Park. All previous ticket sales will be honored. As originally planned, gates are scheduled to open at 5 pm, with a picture and autograph session beginning at 5:30 pm and the game to follow at approximately 7 pm. We are doing our absolute very best, to put together the very best event possible under these very difficult circumstances. We are rescheduling the event to raise money for the Louisiana military charities.
- LSU will be closed Friday, July 12, Saturday, July 13, and Sunday, July 14 due to inclement weather and potential for flooding in the Baton Rouge area. All classes and events scheduled for Friday are cancelled. This includes all athletic and academic summer camps, the LSU Early Childhood Education Laboratory Preschool, the LSU Testing Center, all camps and activities at the University Laboratory School, and any other events or activities scheduled on LSU’s campus. Non-essential personnel should not report to campus on Friday. Normal hours will resume Monday, July 15.
- Due to an enhanced risk of severe weather throughout the area, Baton Rouge Community College (BRCC) is announcing the closure of all of its educational sites Friday, July 12 to Sunday, July 14. All activities and events are canceled. The college will resume normal business operations on Monday, July 15.
- Baton Rouge Bike Share Launch, originally scheduled for Thursday, July 11, has been canceled and rescheduled for July 18.
- The First Annual Slam’d and Cam’d Car Show has been postponed to Saturday, July 20.
- The Louisiana Art & Science Museum’s “Art After Hours” event, initially scheduled for this Thursday, has been postponed to August 1.
- Fortis College commencement ceremony scheduled at the LSU union theatre on Friday is cancelled and will rescheduled for Friday, Aug. 2, at 7 p.m.
- Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University (FranU) is CLOSED Friday, July 12.
- Badges and Booksacks, originally scheduled for Saturday, July 13 at 11 a.m. is POSTPONED. No reschedule date has been set at this time.
- All Southern University Baton Rouge campuses will be CLOSED Friday, July 12. Southern University New Orleans is CLOSED Thursday, July 11 and Friday, July 12. Campuses will reopen Monday, July 15.
- The BREES Expungement event scheduled for Saturday, July 13 is canceled. The next event will be Sept. 7 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at City Hall.
- The Knock Knock Children’s Museum will be CLOSED Saturday, July 13 and Sunday, July 14.
- The OMT Concert and Drawings scheduled for Friday, July 12 at the Belle of Baton Rouge Casino are canceled.
- The LSU Museum of Art will be CLOSED Friday, July 12 through Sunday, July 14.
- Baton Rouge City Court will be CLOSED Friday, July 12. The court is scheduled to reopen Monday, July 15. All docketed cases scheduled for Friday will be reassigned and involved parties will be notified.
- The LA Surplus Property Live Auction is POSTPONED until Saturday, July 20. No auction will be held Saturday, July 13.
- East Baton Rouge Parish Juvenile Court CLOSED Friday, July 12. Normal hours will resume Monday, July 15.
- All East Baton Rouge Council on Aging senior centers will be CLOSED Friday, July 12. The main office will be open until noon Friday.
- All locations of the East Baton Rouge Parish Library will be CLOSED Friday, July 12 and Saturday, July 13 due to the threat of severe tropical weather. Libraries will reopen Monday, July 15.
- The EmployBR Job Fair schedule for Friday, July 12 is POSTPONED to Friday, July 19.
- St. Joseph’s Academy will be CLOSED Friday, July 12. The ACT test scheduled for Saturday, July 13 will be rescheduled. Students will be notified by ACT.
- The Louisiana Art & Science Museum will be CLOSED Friday, July 12 and Saturday, July 13. The museum is scheduled to reopen Sunday, July 14, but that is subject to change.
- The 19th Judicial District Court will be CLOSED Friday, July 12. Normal hours will resume Monday, July 15.
- The Clerk of Court’s Office will be CLOSED Friday, July 12. Normal hours will resume Monday, July 15.
- The Emerge Center for Communication, Behavior, and Development will CLOSE at 12 p.m. Friday, July 12.
- EBR City-Parish Government will be CLOSED Friday, July 12, with the exception of essential personnel. Normal hours will resume Monday, July 15.
- Second Baptist Christian Academy will be CLOSED Friday, July 12.
- The ACT scheduled to be administered at the Dunham School on Saturday, July 13 has been CANCELED. Students will be notified by ACT when a new date is set.
- Advantage Charter Academy is CLOSED Friday, July 11, 2019. School office will open on Monday, July 14.
- Neighbors Federal Credit Union will CLOSE all locations Saturday, July 13. Regular schedules will resume Monday, July 14.
- The Baton Rouge Clinic AMC (pediatric and Urgent Care Center) will be CLOSED Saturday, July 13. Locations will be open Sunday, weather permitting.
- Ochsner Medical Complex (10310 The Grove Blvd.) will be CLOSED Saturday, July 13. The facility will reopen Monday, July 15. Hospital and emergency departments remain open.
- All Sunday services for First Baptist Church Zachary are canceled. This includes the Monday Summer Worship Series.
- The Louisiana Arts Summit, originally scheduled for July 15 and 16, has been POSTPONED. The summit will now take place July 29 and 30. More details here.
- Due to the housing of emergency response personnel and resources for Tropical Storm Barry, the Office of State Fire Marshal’s Baton Rouge headquarters building will be CLOSED to the public on Monday, July 15. The agency’s normal operations, however, will be business as usual inside of the facility.
- Due to continued power outages associated with Hurricane Barry, Commissioner of Administration Jay Dardenne is announcing that state offices in Assumption, Iberia and St. Mary parishes will remain CLOSED Monday, July 15, 2019.
The following roads in East Baton Rouge Parish have barricades in place in anticipation of street flooding:
- I-110 in Gov. Mansion curve
- Chippewa St train overpass
- Wooddale Blvd from Bellhaven Trace Drive to Florida Blvd
- Lobdell Blvd from Greenwell Springs Road to Florida Blvd
- S. Acadian @ railroad overpass
- Burbank Drive @ W. Parker Blvd
- Bluebonnet Blvd @ railroad overpass
- Florida Blvd Service Rd from Little John Drive to S. Flannery Road
- Oak Villa Blvd between Tom Drive and Florida Blvd.
- S. Sherwood Forest Blvd, running North and South of I-12
- Plank Road @ Harding Blvd
- Scenic Hwy @ Beech Street
- Scenic Hwy from 72nd to Harding Blvd
- Scenic Hwy @ Monte Sano Avenue
- North Blvd at 10th St
- 1700 block of Chadsford Avenue
- Antioch Blvd and George O’Neal Lane
- DOTD will stop operations of the Plaquemine Ferry at 5 p.m. Friday, July 12. The ferry will resume operations once the United States Coast Guard reopens river activity. Check 511la.org for updated road closure info.
- Nicholls State University classes and activities are canceled for Friday, July 12.
- Free health screenings at Rouses Market in Denham Springs, originally scheduled for Saturday, July 13 has been canceled. Organizers are rescheduling the health fair.
- Denham Springs Beauty College will be CLOSED Friday and Saturday.
- Denham Springs Christian Academy will be CLOSED Friday, July 12.
- Ochsner Health Center Denham Springs South (139 Veterans Blvd.) will be CLOSED Saturday, July 13. The facility will reopen Sunday, July 14. Hospital and emergency departments remain open.
- All Livingston Parish waterways are CLOSED to recreational traffic effective 6 p.m. Saturday, July 13. Waterways will remain closed until further notice.
- Bikes on the Bayou 50th anniversary celebration has been cancelled due to weather. The event has been rescheduled for Saturday, August 24.
- Delta Sigma Theta national conference will conclude on Friday instead of running through the weekend.
- Highway 90 will close at 6 p.m. Friday, July 12.
POINTE COUPEE PARISH
- False River is CLOSED to all boat traffic until further notice.
ST. MARY PARISH
- The Civil Division of the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office located on the 4th floor of the Courthouse in Franklin and at the Morgan City Branch Office will be closed starting at noon on Friday.
- The Sheriff’s Shooting Range will be closing at 1 p.m. Thursday and will be closed Friday through the weekend.
- Teche Action Clinic will close all sites in St. Mary, St. John, Lafourche, and St. John parishes Friday, July 12
- Peak Performance Physical Therapy Hammond Clinic Ribbon Cutting/Open House scheduled for Thursday, July 11 at 4pm has been postponed to a later date (date TBA in the next week).
PRISON VISITATION CLOSURES
The Louisiana Department of Corrections (DOC) has canceled all prisoner visitation at state-run facilities until further notice. DOC will notify the public when visitation resumes. The cancellation affects the following facilities:
- Allen Correctional Center
- BB Sixty Rayburn Correctional Center
- David Wade Correctional Center
- Dixon Correctional Institute
- Elayn Hunt Correctional Center
- Louisiana Correctional Institute for Women
- Louisiana State Penitentiary
- Raymond Laborde Correctional Center
NATIONAL PARK CLOSURES
- Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve Headquarters and French Quarter Visitor Center - 419 Decatur Street, New Orleans
- Barataria Preserve - 6588 Barataria Boulevard, Marrero (closure includes trails and parking areas)
- Chalmette Battlefield and National Cemetery - 8606 West St. Bernard Highway, Chalmette (closure includes all grounds)
- Wetlands Acadian Cultural Center - 314 St. Mary Street, Thibodaux
- Acadian Cultural Center - 501 Fisher Road, Lafayette
- Prairie Acadian Cultural Center - 250 West Park Avenue, Eunice
- New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park Headquarters at 419 Decatur Street and visitor center at 916 North Peters Street, New Orleans
Tropical Storm Barry formed in the Gulf on Thursday. It is expected to make landfall Saturday as a Category 1 hurricane.