Work resumes on phase two of Bourbon Street improvement project

Work resumes on phase two of Bourbon Street improvement project

NEW ORLEANS, La. (WVUE) - Work resumes Monday on phase two of the Bourbon Street improvement project.

High river levels delayed the work since early March.

The city was given the OK last week that work could resume as long as the river stays below 17 feet.

That means the project will pick back up at the 700 block of Bourbon with a 7 day work week, going from 8 a.m. to sunset each day.

City leaders say 50 percent of Phase 2 is already complete with reconstructed roadways between St. Louis and Orleans that include up-sized drainage, improved sewer system, new sidewalks and new, smoother pavement.

Beginning Monday, crews will begin installing fencing at the 750 block of Bourbon and also begin repairs on the sidewalk between Toulouse and St. Peters.

Better lighting and security will also see continued upgrades.

The city says businesses will not be forced to close along Bourbon and that entrances will still be accessible, although it’s still remained and issue in the past for business owners.

The city says that each block remaining in phase 2 will experience about 75 days worth of construction starting from St. Peter to Dumaine.

Copyright 2019 WVUE. All rights reserved.