Fire heavily damages kitchen of Queensborough neighborhood house

A man who lives in the house told officials his stepson had been cooking fries about 10 minutes before the fire broke out

Fire heavily damages kitchen of Queensborough neighborhood house
Heavy smoke could be seen coming from the roof of a house in the 3000 block of West College Street when the first firefighters arrived at 2:55 p.m. April 18. (Source: Scott Pace)

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Food left cooking unattended on the stove sparked a fire Thursday afternoon that damaged a residence in Shreveport's Queensborough neighborhood, authorities report.

Fire heavily damaged the kitchen of a residence in the 3000 block of West College Street in Shreveport the afternoon of April 18. (Source: Scott Pace/KSLA News 12)
Fire heavily damaged the kitchen of a residence in the 3000 block of West College Street in Shreveport the afternoon of April 18. (Source: Scott Pace/KSLA News 12) (Source: Scott Pace)

The fire in a one-story, wood-frame house in the 3000 block of West College Street was reported at 2:52 p.m., Caddo 911 dispatch records show.

Heavy smoke could be seen pouring from the roof when the first firefighters arrived at 2:55 p.m., said Fred Sanders, assistant to the fire chief for the Shreveport Fire Department.

They were told that all the occupants - four adults and one child - were safe.

The structure sustained heavy fire damage in the kitchen area.

A man who lives in the house told fire officials that his stepson had been cooking fries about 10 minutes before the fire broke out.

Fire investigators have confirmed that the fire began on the stove top, Sanders said.

Copyright 2019 KSLA. All rights reserved.