Gripping testimony in day 2 of Barksdale Airman’s murder trial

Testimony continues in airman murder trial

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - The second day in the murder trial of Airman 1st Class Isaiah Edwards included graphic testimony.

Edwards, 20, is accused of stabbing his roommate, Airman 1st Class Bradley Hale, to death inside their quarters while on deployment last March at Andersen Air Force Base in Guam. Both Hale and Edwards were assigned to the 2nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron as Electronic Warfare Journeymen.

Jury members heard testimony from an expert in blood splatter analysis on Friday. He broke down images from the crime scene analyzing blood found at the scene, explaining how it likely got to where it was located in the living quarters.

After a lunch recess, the jury then heard testimony from five airmen who deployed with Edwards and Hale, working along side or closely with them in day to day operations.

The airmen testified they saw Edwards with nunchucks on several occasions, recalling he was skilled and seemed to be proficient in using them.

Several of the airmen called to the stand, also recalled conversations that took place between members of the unit, with regards as to whether they could kill someone. Those airmen recalled Edwards' response was very matter-of-fact, and blunt, while others gave more thought into reasons why, like to protect family or in uniform.

However, it was Edwards' shop chief who shared disturbing details to the conversation he said took place regarding killing someone.

The Technical Sergeant recalled the conversation going a bit further, in that according to his testimony, Edwards said “I think I could kill” and then said “I think I could kill Hale in the middle of the night.” The Tech Sergeant recalled Hale hearing that statement and that Hale took it as a joke and “threw his hands up and said and I couldn’t do anything to stop it.”

The Tech Sergeant then said the conversation changed.

The defense was quick to point out, despite several investigative interviews after Hale’s death, the witness withheld the information regarding the alleged conversation on killing Hale until nine months later. The witness stated, he regretted not disclosing the information sooner, but that he feared repercussions, as he was the non-commissioned officer (NCO) and had a duty to report that conversation, but failed to do so.

The witness said he was worried what that information would do to him and how it would affect his family.

Court concluded for the week just before 2 p.m. Friday afternoon and will resume at 8:30 a.m. on Monday.

Edwards is currently in custody at Barksdale Air Force Base and being transported by Barksdale Security Forces to and from court.

Both Hale and Edwards have had family members present since court proceedings began on Monday.

Hale’s family is wearing blue ribbons pinned to their shoulders in his honor and memory.

If the jury reaches a conviction, the trial would immediately move in to the sentencing phase.

KSLA News 12 has been in the courtroom monitoring these proceedings since they began on Monday and will continue to do so until the trial comes to an end.

Copyright 2019 KSLA. All rights reserved.