Fire officials ask public to take extra precautions with space heaters

Recent Fire recap in ArkLaTex

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Officials want to remind people to property use space heaters or any kind of heating device.

During the colder months, these devices become the most common cause of house fires.

The American Red Cross of North Louisiana helps 250 displaced families a year, 50 percent of those displacements occur during the colder months.

“Never leave your space heater unattended, remove anything flammable from around it and don’t leave it in an area where kids or pets could tip it over,” Executive Director Michelle Davison says.

“Between space heaters and faulty wiring, those are the most common ways for your home to catch fire during the colder months.”

The Shreveport Fire Department will come out and inspect your home for faulty wiring and look at your space heater for free. If you would like to learn more you can contact them at 318-673-6650.

Copyright 2018 KSLA. All rights reserved.