Caregivers use elderly fire death to teach seniors fire safety - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Caregivers use elderly fire death to teach seniors fire safety

Caregivers Laurie Manno and Laditra Russell want to educate senior citizens on how to stay safe during a fire. Caregivers Laurie Manno and Laditra Russell want to educate senior citizens on how to stay safe during a fire.

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - A fire that took the life of a 67-year-old woman has moved two people to educate seniors on fire safety.

Laverne Smith was killed in a fire at the Southwood Gardens Apartments on July 15. Smith's clothes reportedly caught on fire on the kitchen stove.

Now Ladetria Russell and Laurie Manno, two caregivers at an assisted living complex, are on a mission to educate seniors.

"So we want to enlighten and in-service elderly people and their families on ... fire safety and fire prevention," said Caregiver Laditra Russell.

 "We're going to be taking some smoke detectors and some food and information to these folks and they're going to get a demonstration on how to properly and safely use a fire extinguisher," said Senior Caregiver Laurie Manno.

The pair will be working with the fire department at various National Night Out locations Tuesday night.

Powered by Frankly