SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Three Shreveport children are safe, but they lost their home and family dog in a fire Friday morning.
Neighbors called 911 after noticing the smoke around 10:00 a. m. in the 6500 block of Tulsa Street. Three children-ages 17, 15 and 3-were still inside the residence.
Larry Caldwell, who lives nearby, said he and other neighbors immediately began trying to put out the fire. The children ended up running out on their own, just in time.
"I tried to get the water hose hooked up, and by the time I got it hooked up, the windows popped out," he said.
All three of the children got out safely. Their pet Chihuahua, however, did not make it.
"We weren't able to get him out," said Caldwell. "The fire was just too overpowering."
Firefighters tried to give oxygen to the dog but it was too late.
The fire also caused extensive damage to the home. Investigators believe it started in an air conditioning unit.
Around the same time, fire also broke out in another Shreveport home.
Firefighters say the property manager reported the fire and told them she saw the resident leaving the home just as smoked poured out of a bedroom window.
They say it caused moderate damage to that bedroom.
No one else was home at the time and no one was hurt.