Because no two people are alike, every amputee patient who seeks our care is carefully assessed to determine not only their physical characteristics and fitting measurements, but the nature of their hopes and dreams for an active future. Goal-setting is a vital part of determining which prosthesis will best serve each patient's needs and help them to achieve what might once have seemed impossible.
You can rely on Snell's to design, fabricate and fit a wide variety of upper and lower limb devices from the top manufacturers in the country. Because of our excellent relationship with such firms, we are in the vanguard of providers offering the very newest designs and techniques.
We are happy to explain how new materials, new ideas and designs can open up new horizons for active amputees. This is an exciting field where new advances are rapidly being perfected-making today's prostheses more lightweight, responsive, and controllable than ever before. Many prosthesis wearers compete athletically, while others rediscover the joys of golf, tennis, skiing, and other sports.
Lower Extremity Prostheses: We can serve our amputee patients best by being involved in the process as soon as possible-even prior to amputation, when possible. Your prosthetist will recommend the prosthetic options best suited to your personal preferences, based on your physique, activity level, interests and hobbies-and will thoroughly discuss all options with you.
Depending on circumstances and your doctor's preference, you may be fitted with a preparatory prosthesis that will allow you to begin walking as soon after surgery as possible, even while your residual limb heals and the swelling subsides. Such temporary prostheses are designed to be quickly and easily adjustable, and to adapt comfortably to the changing size and shape of your residual limb.
Many quality lower-limb prosthesis designs are available from manufacturers who provide us with state-of-the-art options:
- Otto Bock's revolutionary microprocessor-controlled knee joint, the C-Leg®, takes 50 measurements per second with its on-board force and angle sensors, while its computer software instantly adjusts knee functions to compensate. This enables the knee wearer to negotiate stairs and uneven terrain without conscious thought and compensation by the other leg...resulting in easier and more natural movement.
- The Springlite LuXonTM Max DP (Dynamic Pylon) foot
- Ossur's Iceross® liners, Flex-Foot, and Total Knee
- Ohio Willow Wood's Pathfinder Foot and Alpha Liner
- Endolite's Adaptive microprocessor-controlled knee
- And much more
The right prosthesis for a patient is not always the most technologically advanced prosthesis. Let us help by working with your physician, therapist, and case manager to assure that you receive the best possible prosthetic solution for your lifestyle and goals.
Ohio Willow Wood
Foot choice is a critical decision that affects every step you take. CPI offers a variety of foot choices for every amputee.
Upper Extremity Prostheses: Science fiction is now science fact, providing us with some amazing "bionic" devices that combine flexibility, controllability, and utility in a prosthetic arm and/or hand that is motivated by the electrical impulses from the patient's own musculature. Engineering advances continue to improve the capabilities of these prostheses; Snell's can help you to choose from the many options available from leading prosthetics manufacturers:
- Fillauer/Motion Control's Utah Procontrol 2, the world's first self-adjusting below-elbow prosthesis, and is small enough for children.
- Otto Bock's MyoBoy Tester/Trainer allows new upper extremity amputees to experiment with a virtual prosthesis.
- Otto Bock also offers the unique Sensor Hand, Transcarpal Hand, and ErgoArm Elbow
Although a physician's prescription is required prior to the actual fitting process, we encourage patients to contact us for an appointment with practioners, who will be happy to discuss the process and the possibilities as extensively as necessary, demonstrating and explaining the full range of possibilities available.