KSLA Salutes: Maintaining healthy habits - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

KSLA Salutes: Maintaining healthy habits

Barksdale Dietitian, Lynnsee Moberg talks with KSLA's Marie Waxel/Source: KSLA News 12 Barksdale Dietitian, Lynnsee Moberg talks with KSLA's Marie Waxel/Source: KSLA News 12
BARKSDALE AFB, LA (KSLA) -

Airmen can be called upon at a moments notice, which means dozens of different factors may influence their performance, but there's one area that can be easily overlooked and the most important: nutrition.

"It’s my job to make sure the education piece is out there. I talk to and go out to a lot of the squadrons and talk about proper nutrition and fueling, a lot of performance based nutrition for our bomb squadron and EOD."

As the base dietitian, Lynnsee Moberg is responsible for helping airmen and their families make healthy decisions.
 
"I think so many people don’t even look at food, they eat because it’s there, so getting people to know what they’re putting in their body and how it affects them is such an important piece because you do feel differently when you feel properly, you have more energy you perform better so the more people can kind of understand that and get a little taste of that it really helps drive their food decision,” said Moberg.

Her mission is make people rethink how to best fuel their bodies.

"We need to think about fueling and re-fueling, that’s all you’re doing food is your fuel. so we want to make sure we’re putting in good fuel  like you’re putting in high-octane gas as you would in a car and making sure we're doing that frequently"

Moberg notes portion sizes and control can both help and hurt performance.

 "A recommended maximum for added sugar for the day is about 25-35g, here I have a typical large soda that you can get a McDonald’s or the gas station and it’s drastically more than a recommended in  just a soda on here."

Moberg says the key is consistency and moderation. The 80/20 rule. 

"80% of the time, if we can make these good choices that leaves 20% of the time to have your birthday parties and have the things that you like."

She says even the smallest changes can make a big difference overall.

"We are lazy people, we are going to do what is easy, so it’s helping them find the easy options that are still healthy so you could always do a little bit better, that's what I tell them. You don’t have to overnight cook all of your meals grow your garden, just make little changes and they do add up"

Copyright 2018 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly