SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - People in Shreveport are returning to their homes after a brief evacuation from a natural gas leak.
Residents of the houses at the corner of Kentucky Avenue at Frederick Street were asked to leave around 4:30 p.m. because of high concentration of natural gas in the homes, a utility spokesman said.
Shreveport firefighters checked the gas levels inside the homes evacuated and said they were safe, according to Chief Skip Pinkston of the Shreveport Fire Department.
Chief Pinkston goes on to say repairs are being made and nobody lost natural gas service during the repair.
Eric Barkley, district director at CenterPoint Energy's Shreveport area office, described the leak as "fairly significant" and said it was caused by a private contractor boring into a 2-inch natural gas pipeline.
Chief Pinkston says surrounding roads from Kentucky Avenue and Frederick Street will be closed for a good part of Wednesday night.