(RNN) - Students at a Baltimore high school reported a peculiar odor that led to the principal activating the emergency plan and ordering the school to be evacuated what turned out to be a pumpkin spice air freshener, fire officials said.
But the president of Christo Rey Jesuit High School Baltimore told WBAL that it might have been a burned-out light bulb.
Two students and a three adults were taken to area hospitals with unknown injuries, though one of the adults suffered an issue unrelated to the smell, officials said.
The hazmat team of the Baltimore City Fire Department was among the responders who rushed to the scene, the school said in a statement on its website.
Emergency medical technicians evaluated and treated students and staff on the scene.
After "extensive testing" the fire department declared the building safe.
The Baltimore fire chief said sounding the alarm was the prudent thing to do:
"It's always best to take precaution, call 911, let us - we are the experts - come in and make sure that everything is safe, so we have no problem with them making this call. I know it's a lot of equipment that you see around here, a lot of firefighters that are working on this incident; however, we want to make sure that these students and teachers are all safe," Chief Roman Clark said.
Copyright 2017 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.