Keithville family loses everything in fire - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Keithville family loses everything in fire

(Source: Cody Jennings/ KSLA News 12) (Source: Cody Jennings/ KSLA News 12)
(Source: Cody Jennings/ KSLA News 12) (Source: Cody Jennings/ KSLA News 12)

A Keithville family of five is left with nothing after their house caught fire Friday morning.

Firefighters were called just after 6 a.m. to the mobile home in the 5600 block of Stormy Road.

"First in units reported some heavy smoke and flames visible," said Caddo Fire District 6 Chief Damon Johnson.

The family of five, including a baby, managed to escape their burning home without any injuries.

"I was sleeping this morning in my bedroom and I woke up to a fire," recalled Berta Johnson, as she held her grandchild in her arms.

Green recalled what she did immediately after waking up.

"I got up and got everybody out, got everybody out of the house."

The family says they lost everything and the only clothes left for the baby are currently being worn. 

"Of course it's a trailer so the damage is pretty extensive," said Chief Johnson. "But they were able to contain it."

Green said the fire moved so quickly when it started that escape became a big challenge.

 "Yes, it was close this morning. Some of the kids was very hard to wake up, you know. But I got 'em out of the house," said Green.

That's just one of the reasons Green gives for believing a higher power may have been at work in saving their lives.

"Just the Lord there this morning waking me up to get everybody out of the house and I'm so blessed and thankful, you know, that he did."

Firefighters from Caddo Fire Districts 4 and 5 also arrived to help. Crews took a defensive approach and fought the flames for more than an hour before finally getting it under control.

While the investigation is still underway, District 6 Captain Kevin Sibley said at least initially the fire appears to be electrical, and started behind a television in a bedroom.

Sibley said the family explained they had been having electrical problems in their home since the day before the fire.

KSLA News 12 has received several requests from the public to help the family. Berta Green and her husband Louis can be reached at 318-584-4656.

Another relative, Da Rica Green, also gave out her phone number at 318-550-7655.

The family said they hope to work closely with their church family at Mount Bethel No. 1 Missionary Baptist Church in Keithville. Their number is 318-925-9019.  

Copyright 2017 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly