10-year-old critically burned while playing with gasoline - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

10-year-old critically burned while playing with gasoline

(Source: Raycom graphics) (Source: Raycom graphics)
LONGVIEW, TX (KSLA) -

A young boy from Longview is recovering after he was badly burned while playing with gasoline Tuesday evening, say Harrison County sheriff's deputies.

It happened around 7:40 p.m. in the 3300 block of Lasing Switch.

Deputies say the boy was burned after he lit a piece of material on fire and threw it into a cup containing gasoline possibly mixed with paint thinner. 

After the cup erupted into flames another child reportedly picked it up and threw it against a wooden fence in an attempt to stop the fire. The flammable liquid then splashed back onto the boy who ignited the cup of gasoline. 

The t-shirt the boy was wearing caught fire and began burning him. The child that was with the victim attempted to remove the t-shirt and extinguish the flames from the shirt. 

The parents of the victim took him to Good Shepherd Hospital in Longview where he was treated for 2nd and 3rd degree burns to the right side and back of his upper body. 

The child was transported to Parkland Hospital in Dallas for further treatment.

His condition is unknown at this time.

Copyright 2016 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly