(KSLA) - Campus professionals will be available Sunday at Bossier Parish Community College to provide students and their families free, line-by-line assistance completing the primary application for obtaining federal financial aid for college.
Help with filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be available from 1:30 to 4 p.m. in Room 215 in Building D at the school at 6220 E. Texas St. in Bossier City.
Completing the FAFSA is the first step to receiving most forms of federal student aid, including Pell grants and low-interest federal student loans, and to participate in the federal work study program.
Several state student financial aid programs, including Louisiana's Taylor Opportunity Program for Students (TOPS) scholarship program and the Louisiana Go Grant need-based aid program, also require completion of the FAFSA to qualify and access those funds.
Many campus-based institutional scholarships require completion of the FAFSA, as well.
BPCC is 1 of 10 Louisiana higher education institutions that will take part Feb. 28 in the state's 9th annual College Goal Sunday. Following are the others, listed by city:
- Alexandria: Louisiana State University-Alexandria, Brumfield Caffey Ballroom, first floor of Student Center
- Baton Rouge: Baton Rouge Community College, Louisiana Board Room, Room 108
- Hammond: Southeastern Louisiana University, main lobby of Fayard Hall
- Houma: Fletcher Technical Community College in Schriever, Main Building, Rooms 213 and 217
- Lake Charles: SOWELA Technical Community College, Multipurpose Room, first floor of Arts and Humanities Building
- Monroe: Louisiana Delta Community College, 7500 Millhaven Road, Room 310, third floor of Louisiana Purchase Building
- New Orleans: Delgado Community College West Bank in Algiers, Student Life Center
- New Orleans: Dillard University, DUICEF Hall, Room 106
- New Orleans: Xavier University, University Center Ballroom, Room 308
Help also will be offered from 1:30 to 4 p.m. March 6 at 9 other Louisiana colleges and universities, including 2 in Shreveport.
- Alexandria: Central Louisiana Technical Community College, 4311 S. MacArthur Drive, Student Services, Building A
- Baton Rouge: Southern University-Baton Rouge, T.H. Harris Annex Building, Multipurpose Room (Room 118)
- Gonzales: River Parishes Community College, 925 W. Edenborne Parkway, Room 120
- Lafayette: University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Moody Hall, Room 103
- Morgan City: South Central Louisiana Technical College, 900 Youngs Road, Young Memorial Main Building
- New Orleans: Southern University-New Orleans, College of Business and Public Administration Building, Room 101
- Ruston: Louisiana Tech University, Davison Hall Auditorium (Room 113)
- Shreveport: Louisiana State University-Shreveport, University Center, second-floor ballroom
- Shreveport: Southern University-Shreveport, Jesse Stone Lecture Hall
College Goal Sunday is a state-based, national volunteer program designed to help students navigate the paperwork barriers that stand between them and the money they need to attend college. Completing the form correctly with detailed income, tax and other information can be a difficult task.
Click on the links below for more information about:
College Goal Sunday