Shreveport family displaced after electrical fire - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Shreveport family displaced after electrical fire

A Shreveport family is searching for somewhere else to stay after an electrical fire destroyed their Judson Street home Saturday morning. A Shreveport family is searching for somewhere else to stay after an electrical fire destroyed their Judson Street home Saturday morning.
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - A Shreveport family is searching for somewhere else to stay after smoke from an electrical fire damaged their home Saturday morning.

The fire happened around 9 a.m. at a home in the 3100 block of Judson Street. That's located in the city's Queensborough neighborhood.

One of the occupants of the home smelled something burning and noticed smoke. The occupants then had to evacuate the home because of the thick smoke.

Thomas Stanford lived in the home, and while he's grateful to be alive, he says Saturday's fire has placed his family in a bind.

"When the fire department comes, they have to tear up things to find out what's going on, and us being minimum wage workers, it's put a financial stress on us," Stanford said.

While the home has smoke detectors inside, those detectors did not alert them to the electrical fire in the attic. Luckily Stanford's senses didn't lead him astray.

"I sensed a smell, an electrical smell, so I went to investigate and found the smell to be in the attack," he said.

Exposing a concern that most homeowners wouldn't consider, the smoke detectors in the home didn't sound because the fire began in the attic. Firefighters encourage people to place smoke detectors in all areas of the home that are in use, including attics.

"This is the end result. We are losing our furniture, our clothes are wet, now we've got to find a place to stay for at least a couple of weeks,” Stanford said.

He believes that smoke detectors make the difference, and "the main thing is always have your smoke detectors.” Stanford says moving forward, he's just doing his part to comfort his family. 

He says the youngest member of his family is taking it the hardest. 

"The kid sees smoke, she's hearing fire trucks, that's kind of strange. It's traumatizing for a 7-year-old kid.” Stanford said.

It will take time to regroup, but the family is committed to clinging tighter than ever to get past this rough patch. Fire investigators are working to pinpoint where in the attic the fire actually started. Midway Baptist Church in Shreveport is currently assisting the family, and can be reached by calling (318) 221-3237.

The family says although they are without a place to stay, they are grateful they made it out alive.

Copyright 2014 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly