Man hospitalized after 8-hour standoff. - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Man hospitalized after 8-hour standoff.

Huntsville SWAT responded to the standoff. (Source: WAFF) Huntsville SWAT responded to the standoff. (Source: WAFF)
HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - An 8 hour standoff at a Huntsville hotel ended without violence and a man in custody Saturday morning. 

The standoff started around 6 p.m. Friday at Microtel Inn and Suites on Shields Road after an employee called police saying a subject inside a room was holding a firearm. The clerk told Police he saw the man on the bed holding a pistol to his head saying, "don't move, or I'll shoot."

Police say a 54-year-old man from Hendersonville, Kentucky barricaded himself in a room on the second floor and threatened to shoot anyone who came near him. Authorities evacuated the the hotel and the nearby waffle house, blocking off shields and part of Highway 72.

Crisis negotiators and SWAT were on the scene and said the man was extremely intoxicated and uncooperative. Members of the SWAT team were able to secure the subject at around 1:30 a.m. Saturday.  

The man was transported to the Huntsville Hospital for medical evaluation. Investigators say charges may be filed pending an investigation.

Standoffs are tense situations and police officers have to be mentally prepared before putting themselves in harm's way.

One officer said every standoff is a stressful situation, but you fall back on your years of training and things become second nature even if you haven't been in a standoff for a decade.

He said it's like riding bicycle: you never forget your years of rigorous training that mentally prepare you and put you in the mode.

"For lack of better words it's kind of a high you get on before the situation like that and here again the training is the most important thing, and it kicks in when you get into that mode," said Bill Davis with the Fraternal Order of Police.

Copyright 2014 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly