Detective rushes into burning home to save child; speaks out
SPD Detective Roy Menefee was nearby when the call came for officers to respond. to a fire at a home in the 1900 block of Corbitt St.
SPD Det. Roy Menafee says the decision to leave the burning house without being able to find the child believed to be inside was a difficult one.
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -
A Shreveport Police Detective has fully recovered after he ran inside a burning home to search for a child last week, and ended up injured himself.
The fire allegedly started on a bed at the home in the 1900 block of Corbitt St. on July 2. Residents tried to put it out with a bucket of water, but failed, and the fire grew out of control. SPD Detective Roy Menefee was nearby when the call came for officers to respond. “I was about 2 blocks away when headquarters dispatched the call, and when they dispatched it they said there is a fire at this location and that a child was supposed to be trapped in the house.”
Detective Menefee dropped what he was doing and raced to the home. “There were two women hysterical in the front yard, screaming ‘the baby is in the house, the baby is in the house!’”
Menefee says he just did what any officer would do. “As I was running down the side of the house, I could see the flames jumping out the window of the bedroom, this bedroom on the side of the house. The window panes were exploding.” Once in the house, a cloud of dense, black smoke rolled over him. “The room went pitch black. I thought 'Oh my God, if the baby is any farther, now I can’t see, I can’t breathe.'”
He says he crouched down to the floor and lit his flash light, but it barely shone a foot into the smoke. “It was a hard decision to decide whether or not to leave without knowing that baby was still in there or not, but I didn’t think I could go any farther.”
Once he got outside, the family started yelling that everyone, including the baby, had made it out. Menefee was the only one who ended up suffering any injuries. “I didn’t realize I had sucked that much smoke in, and I started coughing and I couldn’t get a breathe.” Once at the hospital, those very low oxygen levels were brought up to normal. He was sent home, glad that the house was the only thing that family lost.