Search for missing Guardsman in Red River resumes Saturday - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Search for missing Guardsman in Red River resumes Saturday

Posted: Updated:
Desmond Desdunes, 22 (Source: Facebook) Desmond Desdunes, 22 (Source: Facebook)

Recovery efforts will resume Saturday in the search for the body of a man who reportedly jumped into the Red River late Thursday night. 

The search wrapped up just before 5 Friday afternoon for 22-year-old Desmond Desdunes of Prairie View, Louisiana. Desdunes is one of two National Guardsmen who reportedly jumped off a train trestle that night. The other jumper is identified as 19-year-old Joshua Miller of Shreveport. He made it back to shore.

Authorities say it all began shortly before 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 5, with a group of four men who were on the sandbar south of the Kansas City Railroad Bridge, on the southern edge of downtown Shreveport. That's when Miller and Desdunes reportedly decided to jump off the bridge.

Investigators say it was Miller who jumped first, followed by Desdunes. Sgt. Alan Davidson, with the Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office Marine Unit explained, "They were swimming back. The second male had a little trouble with swimming. He pulled the other guy (Miller) under. He got to shore. When he turned around the second male (Desdunes) was missing."

After searching for well over two hours, law enforcement from both sides of the Red River called off the search after midnight. It resumed at 8-o'clock in the morning, with five boats in the morning and three in the afternoon.

Lt. Donna Jackson, with the Caddo Sheriff's Office Marine Unit described the tough job ahead. "It's, you know, like finding a needle in a haystack with so much debris and everything on the bottom."

It turns out that this bridge is private property. Therefore, it is illegal to get on it without permission. In fact, Lt. Jackson says that the jumper who survived, Joshua Miller, could end up facing criminal charges for trespassing.

But the first task is to find Desdunes. And Lt. Jackson said they are conducting a thorough search of this part of the Red River. "We look everywhere. We got jet skis that can get right up next to the bank. We've sent guys down south. Basically once he goes into a float he'll be moving south with the flow of the river."

Lt. Jackson said it could take several days, or even longer, before the body may float up to the surface. That is, unless it's snagged, or caught, by some debris on the bottom. Then it could be much longer.

Law enforcement from both sides of the river will resume their search Saturday, June 7, at 8:00 a.m. 

Copyright 2014 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow