DURHAM: 2 VA employees on leave over 'inappropriate scheduling' - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

2 Durham VA employees on leave over 'inappropriate scheduling'

Posted: Updated:
Two emploees at the Durham VA are accused of "inappropriate scheduling practices." (Duke University) Two emploees at the Durham VA are accused of "inappropriate scheduling practices." (Duke University)
DURHAM, N.C. -

The Veterans Health Administration has placed two Durham VA Medical Center employees on administrative leave after learning the employees may have "engaged in inappropriate scheduling practices."

In preparation for an audit, VHA learned on Monday that some employees at the Durham VA "may have engaged in inappropriate scheduling practices at some point between 2009 and 2012."

The audit was scheduled as part of a national audit of patient access and scheduling as directed by Department of Veterans Affairs Sec. Eric Shinseki.

"A VHA audit team will be on site this week to assess current scheduling practices and determine if inappropriate behavior occurred," the VA said in a statement Monday.

The VA said that if the allegations are found to be true, the scheduling practices do not comply with VHA's policy on Outpatient Scheduling Processes and Procedures.

It was not made immediately clear what sort of scheduling practices the employees may have engaged in.

The latest allegations come as the federal department defends itself against claims of potentially deadly delays at other facilities throughout the nation. CNN previously reported on a secret wait list in Phoenix.

The VA's official policy is that all patients should be able to see a doctor, dentist or some other medical professional within 14 days of their requested/preferred date. But many veterans end up waiting longer and the delays are never reported, veterans and their advocates say.

Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesMore>>

  • SC high school students forced to remove US flags on Sept. 11 anniversary

    SC high school students forced to remove US flags on Sept. 11 anniversary

    Friday, September 12 2014 8:21 PM EDT2014-09-13 00:21:28 GMT
    Flags were displayed in pick-up truck beds... This flag is on the back of the pick up and is from a July 4th event unrelated to Woodruff High...Photo from Wayne Kinton on Twitter ?@WayneKinton Flags were displayed in pick-up truck beds... This flag is on the back of the pick up and is from a July 4th event unrelated to Woodruff High...Photo from Wayne Kinton on Twitter ?@WayneKinton
    Several upset parents say Woodruff High School students were made to remove American flags from their vehicles on September 11.Spartanburg District 4 Superintendent Rallie Liston said four students arrived at the school Thursday morning with U.S. flags propMore >>
    Several upset parents say Woodruff High School students were made to remove American flags from their vehicles on September 11.Spartanburg District 4 Superintendent Rallie Liston said four students arrived at the school Thursday morning with U.S. flags propMore >>
  • American extremist from NC reveals his quest to join ISIS

    American extremist from NC reveals his quest to join ISIS

    Wednesday, September 3 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-09-03 21:23:46 GMT
    Just a few weeks ago a Catholic-born, American man –- a former military school student, special forces aspirant, law enforcement officer and bodybuilder -- set off on a path far from any he'd envisioned for himself as a kid in North Carolina: on the other side of the world, in Lebanon, he was trying to figure out how to get into Syria and join ISIS, the most radical, bloodthirsty terrorist group of our times.More >>
    Just a few weeks ago a Catholic-born, American man –- a former military school student, special forces aspirant, law enforcement officer and bodybuilder -- set off on a path far from any he'd envisioned for himself as a kid in North Carolina: on the other side of the world, in Lebanon, he was trying to figure out how to get into Syria and join ISIS, the most radical, bloodthirsty terrorist group of our times.More >>
  • Woman charged with murder after stabbing man in neck

    Woman charged with murder after stabbing man in neck

    Sunday, September 14 2014 8:09 PM EDT2014-09-15 00:09:33 GMT
    Jakeya Karynne Davis, 34, of Durham, is charged with murder in the death of Marcus Anthony Keith.Jakeya Karynne Davis, 34, of Durham, is charged with murder in the death of Marcus Anthony Keith.
    Police say a Durham man was stabbed to death Saturday during what appears to have been an argument.More >>
    Police say a Durham man was stabbed to death Saturday during what appears to have been an argument.More >>
Powered by WorldNow