Brother of convicted child killer Brian Horn shares thoughts about case
Kevin Horn sits down with KSLA News 12's Fred Childers to talk about his brother's conviction, now that a jury has recommended the death penalty.
Brian Horn, 37, was found guilty of kidnapping and murdering 12-year-old Justin Bloxom of Stonewall in March of 2010.
Justin Bloxom and his mother, Amy (Source: Amy Witham Fletcher/Facebook)
DESOTO PARISH, LA (KSLA) -
For the past four years, the family of Brian Horn has had to come to grips with the possibility that their loved one may have murdered a child.
Now, the convicted child killer's family has to face the fact that he is in line to die for his crimes.
"I love my brother and would have done anything in the world for him, I hate that he is where he is, and has to go through this. But when you make choices you have to face them," said Horn's brother, Kevin.
He testified for both the prosecution and defense. When asked if he thinks his testimony helped convict Brian, Kevin said the evidence is what convicted him. Still, he said, he hurts over the death sentence Brian received.
"That's my brother," Kevin said. "I love him. I would never deny that. There's pain there."
Brian was convicted of first-degree murder last week for the death of 12-year-old Justin Bloxom back in 2010. Over the weekend, a jury recommended a death sentence for him.
The Horn defense team said as a young person, Brian was sent to juvenile detention after getting into trouble. Kevin went to live with his grandmother.
"Growing up we made some bad choices, and we got in trouble, numerous curfew violations, sneaking out all the time, went joy riding in my mom's car," Kevin Horn said of the scraps the brothers got into.
But Kevin Horn doesn't necessarily think his life was any easier than Brian's.
"I wouldn't say better, I've made it what I've made it," Kevin said. "His choices put him where he was."
Police said Brian lured Bloxom to his death by using text messages to pose as a 15-year-old girl looking for sex. The young boy's body was found in a wooded area off Highway 171 on March 31, 2010.
Kevin said his family has received death threats throughout the ordeal.
"There's people all the time on Facebook that post stuff all the time that they have no idea what is going on," he said. "How people really feel about it, people were messaging on Facebook. I had a phone call where someone disguised their voice and hung up."
Those comments aren't fair to the family, said Kevin, himself a father.
"Of course I'm a father, I have three kids, I'll do anything in the world for them," he said. "It's something about being a parent. You don't do that. When you make your choices you face them."