Coushatta woman saved by quick-acting fire department - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Coushatta woman saved by quick-acting fire department

Posted: Updated:
A Coushatta woman was rescued from carbon monoxide fumes in her home by the quick-acting Coushatta Fire Department. A Coushatta woman was rescued from carbon monoxide fumes in her home by the quick-acting Coushatta Fire Department.
COUSHATTA, LA (KSLA) -

A 72-year-old Coushatta woman believes her life was saved last month, thanks to her home security system and the local fire department's quick response.

Juanita Raburn was using an outdoor generator to power her home. The generator was too close to her house and pumped a large amount of deadly carbon monoxide inside her home while she slept. "The generator filled my house with carbon monoxide through the soffit," Raburn said.

Raburn has a home security system installed that detected the fatal fumes and woke her up. Firefighters from the Coushatta Fire Department arrived at the scene and Raburn says she doesn't think she would have survived without their quick work.

Raburn also met Gary Yacks, the ADT dispatcher who helped report the situation to the CFD. "I want to thank him tremendously. They have been wonderful. They saved my life."

After the meeting, ADT awarded all parties involved in the rescue, and donated $5,000 to the CFD. That money will be used to buy new carbon monoxide detectors for people who don't have them.

Copyright 2014 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow