Stove catches fire while resident sleeping at Tyler apartment - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Stove catches fire while resident sleeping at Tyler apartment

Posted: Updated:
Police block of the area in front of a fire at the Eastwood Apartments in Tyler Police block of the area in front of a fire at the Eastwood Apartments in Tyler
Crews on scene Friday morning Crews on scene Friday morning
TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Fire units responded to a structure fire in southeast Tyler Friday morning.

The Tyler Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire at the Eastwood Apartments located at 1030 Old Omen Road just before 10:30 a.m. Firefighters arriving on scene reported that smoke was visible and immediately called for a second alarm.

Fire officials say occupants of apartment 201 in building "C" awoke to a popping sound, saw the kitchen area on fire and evacuated. No injuries were reported.

Investigators believe the fire started in the kitchen from food left cooking on the stove. One apartment sustained heavy fire damage and another suffered light smoke damage. The displaced occupants are staying with family.

A Tyler district chief, an investigator and Tyler police also responded to the scene.

Copyright 2014 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Powered by WorldNow