Defense requests major delay in Horn capital murder trial - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Defense requests major delay in Horn capital murder trial

Posted: Updated:
Brian Horn, on the right, walks to the DeSoto Parish courthouse Monday, where a hearing resulted in another delay in the start of his capital murder trial. Brian Horn, on the right, walks to the DeSoto Parish courthouse Monday, where a hearing resulted in another delay in the start of his capital murder trial.
Brian Horn, 37 (Source: DeSoto Parish Sheriff's Office) Brian Horn, 37 (Source: DeSoto Parish Sheriff's Office)
12-year-old Justin Bloxom's body was found in a watery ditch in the woods just off Highway 171 south of Stonewall. 12-year-old Justin Bloxom's body was found in a watery ditch in the woods just off Highway 171 south of Stonewall.
Prosecutors say 12-year-old Justin Bloxom was lured from a friend's house by a convicted sex offender and murdered. Prosecutors say 12-year-old Justin Bloxom was lured from a friend's house by a convicted sex offender and murdered.
In January, Horn's defense team asked for more time to hire their own expert on the enhanced technology used to lift and analyze a fingerprint taken from Horn's cab. In January, Horn's defense team asked for more time to hire their own expert on the enhanced technology used to lift and analyze a fingerprint taken from Horn's cab.
MANSFIELD, LA (KSLA) -

There could be another major delay in the capital murder trial of Brian Horn, accused of kidnapping and killing a Stonewall boy in 2010.

The 37-year-old twice-convicted sex offender is charged with first degree murder and aggravated kidnapping in the March 30, 2010 asphyxiation death of 12-year-old Justin Bloxom.

DeSoto Parish District Attorney Richard Johnson confirms Horn's defense attorneys are asking for another 10 to 14 months before the start of the trial. Johnson says it's because one of the members on the defense team is expected to withdraw from the case.

A hearing on that motion is scheduled for Wednesday at 10 a.m.

It's the latest in a series of delays in the start of the trial, which is currently set to get under way March 11. DeSoto District Judge Robert Burgess set that date at another continuance hearing earlier this month, vowing that the trial would get under way before summer.

At that time, Johnson expressed his determination to move forward with the case. "This case has been languishing for 4 years, and we need to go ahead and get it done and get closure for the family."

The DA says he will fight the most recent request for a delay.

Copyright 2014 KSLA. All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow