Good afternoon! It has been a busy day in the KLTV newsroom, and we have a lot to share with you tonight.
Here are some stories for you to check out this afternoon:
1. A tragic story out of Kilgore today: A woman was shot and killed today at around 10 a.m. When officers arrived at the home, police say an armed male suspect fled into the woods. He emerged and exchanged gunfire with officers before being shot and killed. We have reporters still at the scene learning more from authorities and family members, and they will bring you much more tonight on East Texas News at 4, 5 and 6.
2. East Texas authorities are seeking a male suspect wanted in connection with the alleged kidnapping and rape of a 14-year-old female. The Hopkins County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday that they are searching for 49-year-old Franklin Coy Kuhl, Jr. He is wanted for trafficking of persons. Please contact the Hopkins County Sheriff's Office at 903-438-4040 or Crime Stoppers at 903-885-2020 if you have any information on his location.
3. Drawing a link between reduced fuel consumption and climate change, President Barack Obama said Tuesday that his administration will issue tougher fuel-efficiency standards for delivery trucks by March 2016. The new fuel-efficiency rules would come on top of standards in place for the 2014-2018 model years.
4. East Texans will be heading to the polls all day today, casting ballots on the first day of early voting in the March primaries. Early voting will last for two weeks, with voters deciding which candidates from the Republican and Democratic primaries they want to see in November's general election.
5. Tyler police are currently searching for a wanted aggravated robbery suspect who fled on foot following on traffic stop.
Officials said a Tyler Police Department investigator was following 25-year-old Daniel Cobb around 7:45 a.m. after he was identified to be an individual wanted under an aggravated robbery warrant. He fled on foot. Officers believe Cobb stripped off his clothes and ran into a wooded area, and jumped into a white SUV.
6. A free dental treatment and eye exam clinic has been scheduled for low income families on February 28 at 7:30 p.m. at Bethesda Health Clinic in Tyler. All the details can be found here.
7. The identities of two East Texans killed in a fiery wreck Monday night in Smith County have been released.
The Texas Department of Public Safety say Bobby Lee Phillips III, 27, of Gladewater, and 63-year-old David Marshall Southerland of Tyler were both pronounced dead at the scene. The wreck happened just after 6 p.m. on Highway 271 just south of Farm to Market 16.
Here is the link to our livestream on KLTV.com. You'll get the latest and best local news and weather this afternoon on East Texas News at 4, 5 and 6. You don't want to miss a minute.
We'll see you soon,
KLTV Digital Content Producer
Have a snack while you watch: Mama Steph's easy apple slab pie