Carol Joran, her two children and her grand daughter lost almost everything after a fire at their home on Lindholm St. in Shreveport on Monday.
Firefighters say heavy smoke and flames were coming from a bedroom when they got there. The fire spread to the attic before crews got it under control. A child, who was in the home at the time, told investigators she turned over a lamp and the bulb ignited the fire.
Since then, strangers have donated loads of items at the Shreveport Manor Guest Care Center where Joran's daughter works. She says the support has been overwhelming and any myth that there are no good people left in the world is completely false.
"It's totally not true. It's the furthest thing from the truth. I don't care who you are, what color you are or what you do for a living. There are people out there that are still good in this world, a lot of good people in this world and in this community especially that help out a lot," says Joran.
She adds the biggest challenge now is finding a new home for her family.
For information on how you can help, stop by the Shreveport Manor Guest Home at 3302 Mansfield Rd. or call (318) 222-8482.
Copyright 2014 KSLA. All rights reserved.