'He was stuck and literally burning': woman saves friend in whee - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

'He was stuck and literally burning': woman saves friend in wheelchair from fire

Posted: Updated:
  • KSLA News 12 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Lights at Haughton roadside memorial trashed, replaced

    Lights at Haughton roadside memorial trashed, replaced

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:14:41 GMT
    Missing items from a roadside memorial to an ArkLaTex girl who lost her life near the site has her family shocked and outraged.More >>
    Missing items from a roadside memorial to an ArkLaTex girl who lost her life near the site has her family shocked and outraged.More >>
  • South BC developer scraps subdivision plan, oil and gas company buys land

    South BC developer scraps subdivision plan, oil and gas company buys land

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:03 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:03:46 GMT
    Plans for a plot of land originally slated for a new subdivision in South Bossier City have been scratched, and while some neighbors are pleased to hear that, they aren't necessarily convinced that the replacement plan will be any better.More >>
    Plans for a plot of land originally slated for a new subdivision in South Bossier City have been scratched, and while some neighbors are pleased to hear that, they aren't necessarily convinced that the replacement plan will be any better.More >>
  • ETX boy has surgery to help him hear

    ETX boy has surgery to help him hear

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:44 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:44:52 GMT
    Jackson Foster with his parents after having surgery on his ear.Jackson Foster with his parents after having surgery on his ear.
    Earlier this year we told you about a Bowie County family wanting to have a special birthday for their soon-to-be two-year-old son. You may recall, this child is deaf, and though the family's plan to sing "Happy Birthday" to him this year will not take place, they are one step closer to their goal for birthdays to come.More >>
    Earlier this year we told you about a Bowie County family wanting to have a special birthday for their soon-to-be two-year-old son. You may recall, this child is deaf, and though the family's plan to sing "Happy Birthday" to him this year will not take place, they are one step closer to their goal for birthdays to come.More >>

An East Texas man is fighting for his life in a Dallas hospital after being trapped in a fire because his wheelchair was stuck in mud.

Bobby Prescott, who is a double amputee, was badly injured Tuesday when the flames from a burn pile spread around him on Mixon Road, near Troup.

His wheelchair is still stuck in the sand, just feet away from the burn pile that almost took his life.

"Something made me look out his window and all I saw was smoke. I couldn't see him so I hollered and he was hollering for me," says Pamela White, who lives with Bobby.

She says Bobby was yelling, "Hurry, I'm on fire!" as she rushed to help him.

"He was burning, I mean literally on fire. He was at the back fence so I ran over there with the rake and kept the fire off of him," White says.

She and Bobby have lived in their Smith County home on Mixon Road since 2005. Bobby has diabetes, a disease that cost him both of his legs.

White says Bobby spends a lot of time in the backyard putting trash and debris from his old house into burn piles, but Tuesday was different, "I woke up it felt like a weird day already so I guess the Lord was trying to tell me something was going to happen."

The wind was blowing and White says Bobby was anxious.

"He had a pile and I know it was getting on him because it just kept getting higher and higher. I guess it just got the best of him and he thought he could control it but it was too high."

White burned her hand pulling Bobby from the fire. She says even standing near where the fire happened is hard.

"You always think you could have done more, but I did all I could do so I have to learn to accept that and be here for him."

Bobby is listed in critical condition at Parkland Hospital in Dallas. His wheelchair was destroyed in the fire so friends and family are starting a fund to get him a new one.

You can donate to the fund by clicking here

Copyright 2014 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow